Foundations mailing lists

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Mar 17, 2022, 3:48:29 PM3/17/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
As announced earlier, I have created two mailing lists/groups to
discuss and comment on the foundations that Committee F has to provide
for the large language.

Discussion by the core members of Committee F takes place on the
mailing list [1]. The mailing list and its archive are open for anyone
to read.

Comments on the process or work of Committee F can be sent to the
second mailing list [2]. This mailing list is open for anyone to read
and write.

Marc

--

[1] https://groups.google.com/g/scheme-reports-foundations-discuss

[2] https://groups.google.com/g/scheme-reports-foundations-comment

John Cowan

Mar 17, 2022, 6:22:14 PM3/17/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Make sure to give someone else manager-rights to the list (me, Arthur, whoever) so we don't lose control of it).

Lassi Kortela

Mar 18, 2022, 2:12:25 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
Can non-google users subscribe to these lists by sending an email?

Lassi Kortela

Mar 18, 2022, 2:14:49 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
BTW, https://github.com/henryk/gggd

"This is a tool in Python that can fetch the entirety of a Google Group
as raw mbox files for easy import into other systems.

Since there is no native way offered by Google to do that, we have to
spider the web interface and extract all the messages manually."

Might be good to get in the habit of doing this early and posting the
mbox archives as public files somewhere.

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Mar 18, 2022, 2:29:57 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
This should now be possible by sending an email to

scheme-reports-foundat...@googlegroups.com

and to

scheme-reports-foundat...@googlegroups.com

If you have any problems doing so, please let me know.

Marc

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Mar 18, 2022, 2:36:42 AM3/18/22
Am Do., 17. März 2022 um 23:22 Uhr schrieb John Cowan <co...@ccil.org>:

> Make sure to give someone else manager-rights to the list (me, Arthur, whoever) so we don't lose control of it).

That's a good point. I added you to the lists and gave you and Arthur
manager rights.

Marc

Jay Freeman

Mar 18, 2022, 4:10:54 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, Jay Freeman
Let me pipe up to mention that, having something of a pack rat mentality, since mid-2011 I have archived some 4500 messages from "Scheme-reports" and "scheme-reports-wg2", all in a Macintosh mailbox. If anyone wants them, and can think of a sane way for me to transmit them, let me know.

I keep telling myself I will get around to reading them all some day ...

I promise not to forward them all to the present list. 😸 😸 😸

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
---------------------
Jay_Reynol...@mac.com
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com (personal web site)

On Mar 17, 2022, at 23:14, Lassi Kortela <la...@lassi.io> wrote:

[...]

Lassi Kortela

Mar 18, 2022, 4:57:17 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
> Let me pipe up to mention that, having something of a pack rat mentality, since mid-2011 I have archived some 4500 messages from "Scheme-reports" and "scheme-reports-wg2", all in a Macintosh mailbox. If anyone wants them, and can think of a sane way for me to transmit them, let me know.

Sounds great! Thanks for doing it.

Do you have some way to convert them to mbox (or maildir) and store them
in a git repo?

Daphne Preston-Kendal

Mar 18, 2022, 5:20:03 AM3/18/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
NB I don’t know if this has been fixed (I doubt it!), but older versions of Apple Mail generate invalid mbox files because they don’t do any From line mangling (neither mboxo nor the reversible mboxrd style).

Best would be to copy them into an IMAP folder and then use another, non-broken client to download them and export them.

Daphne

Jay Freeman

Mar 19, 2022, 3:05:04 AM3/19/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, Jay Freeman
[I am having trouble with Google Groups -- I tried posting this earlier but Google bounced it ...]

I have converted my archive (of mailings from this group since 2011) to an mbox folder which is sitting on my Mac's desktop at the moment. The archive is current as I write these words, though I am by no means certain that I have captured all the messages, since they were merely moved by hand to a separate Mac mailbox as they arrived.

I was using the version of Macintosh Mail that comes with macOS 11.6.5 (Big Sur) to create the archive, so possibly Daphne's problem has been dealt with (or not).

I don't have a public git repository handy, I am not skilled in creating or maintaining them, and I am not skilled in mail management in any other operating system.

If any of you would like my archive, and can suggest a way for me to get it to you (it is not quite 50 MBytes), contact me on or off list.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
---------------------
Jay_Reynol...@mac.com
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com (personal web site)

Lassi Kortela

Mar 20, 2022, 4:19:20 AM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
> I have converted my archive (of mailings from this group since 2011) to an mbox folder which is sitting on my Mac's desktop at the moment. The archive is current as I write these words, though I am by no means certain that I have captured all the messages, since they were merely moved by hand to a separate Mac mailbox as they arrived.
>
> I was using the version of Macintosh Mail that comes with macOS 11.6.5 (Big Sur) to create the archive, so possibly Daphne's problem has been dealt with (or not).
>
> I don't have a public git repository handy, I am not skilled in creating or maintaining them, and I am not skilled in mail management in any other operating system.
>
> If any of you would like my archive, and can suggest a way for me to get it to you (it is not quite 50 MBytes), contact me on or off list.

Please try sending it to me as an email attachment. My provider should
be able to handle 50M. I'll convert it into a git repo.

I tried https://github.com/henryk/gggd but the following command fails
for me:

$ ./src/gggd.py -v scheme-reports-wg2
/Users/lassi/.lynxrc: does not exist, not using LYNX_CFG
Note: No cookie file available for lynx and/or cookie sending not
enabled, cannot act as logged-in user. See documentation.
Fetching topics ...
Fetching
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=forum/scheme-reports-wg2
Fetching messages ...
$

It says "Fetching messages" but those I don't receive any messages
anywhere. Possibly you'd have to log in or use the Lynx cookies. If
anyone else wants to try that with their own Google account, would be great.

Jay Freeman

Mar 20, 2022, 7:30:56 AM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, Jay Freeman
Confirming that I did send Lassi my archive, by private email. Hope he got it -- 50 MByte is the largest message I have ever tried to send -- and I hope it is of some use to somebody.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman

Lassi Kortela

Mar 20, 2022, 9:11:33 AM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
> Confirming that I did send Lassi my archive, by private email. Hope he got it -- 50 MByte is the largest message I have ever tried to send -- and I hope it is of some use to somebody.

Received. The mbox was 47019104 bytes. You sent in a zip file which was
only 10M.

Here's the git repo (created using --bare):
https://misc.lassi.io/2022/scheme-reports-wg2.git.tgz

I didn't upload it to GitHub or GitLab since the mail headers may
contain sensitive information which those platforms could index somewhere.

It contains a trivial Python script which I used to split the mbox into
one file per message. 4801 messages in total.

Daphne, can you check whether `grep -h From message* | sort | uniq`
shows anything bungled? I understand there may be some issues with
message body lines which start with some variation of "From".

Lassi Kortela

Mar 20, 2022, 9:20:18 AM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
> Here's the git repo (created using --bare):
> https://misc.lassi.io/2022/scheme-reports-wg2.git.tgz

Just to be clear, here are the complete steps to do a checkout:

# go into a temp directory
wget https://misc.lassi.io/2022/scheme-reports-wg2.git.tgz
tar -xzf scheme-reports-wg2.git.tgz
git clone scheme-reports-wg2.git scheme-reports-wg2
cd scheme-reports-wg2

Lassi Kortela

Mar 20, 2022, 10:52:34 AM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com
>> Here's the git repo (created using --bare):
>> https://misc.lassi.io/2022/scheme-reports-wg2.git.tgz

The messages (numbered message00000, message00001, ...) appeared to be
in reverse order by date. I replaced the above tarfile with a new repo
which stores each message such that the filename is the SHA-1 hash of
the contents. This also makes it safe to run the split-mbox script any
number of times with new mbox files.

Jay Freeman

Mar 20, 2022, 5:39:02 PM3/20/22
to scheme-re...@googlegroups.com, Jay Freeman
Glad it was received. Again I remind everybody that I do not claim the archive is complete, since messages were hand-copied into it upon receipt.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman