Breeze 2.0-SNAPSHOT builds for Scala 2.12/2.13/3.0.0-RC3

David Hall

May 5, 2021, 1:54:54 PM5/5/21
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I've finally got Breeze compiling and running against Scala 3. This is not the "Breeze 2" I muse about sometimes on this list--it's intended to be (mostly) source compatible--but the reorganization has thoroughly, thoroughly broken any semblance of binary compatibility, hence the major version bump.

It ended up being a pretty massive change to how implicits are organized, and I cleaned up some cruft while I was there. I still have more to do.

I would appreciate people trying this snapshot against their work, even if you're not using Scala 3, because I imagine it's entirely likely I broke Scala 2.12 / Scala 2.13 functionality, including probable performance regressions. It would be good to stamp that out / turn those issues into tests.

The builds are in sonatype snapshots:
resolvers +=

"Sonatype OSS Snapshots" at "https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots"

Thanks!
-- David

rob.patro

May 5, 2021, 3:52:52 PM5/5/21
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Darren Wilkinson

May 8, 2021, 6:28:18 PM5/8/21
to Scala Breeze
This is great news! The snapshot seems to work for Scala 2.13 and Scala 3. But when I switch to the snapshot in one of my libraries, I get an error relating to broadcasting:

Could not find implicit value for parameter op: breeze.linalg.operators.OpMulMatrix.Impl2[breeze.linalg.BroadcastedColumns[breeze.linalg.DenseMatrix[Double],breeze.linalg.DenseVector[Double]],breeze.linalg.DenseVector[Double],That]
[error]     val Xs = X(::, *) * sW

X is a DenseMatrix[Double] and sW is a DenseVector[Double]. This syntax worked fine prior to the snapshot. Has broadcasting syntax changed?

Thanks,

David Hall

May 9, 2021, 2:16:09 AM5/9/21
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
That's exactly the kind of breakage I was looking for. I did my best to keep syntax the same for everything, but the changes to implicit search meant that things that worked before wouldn't work now.

That said, I don't know what you were trying to do before? Scalar multiplication? I think that should have been a compile error before, since you shouldn't be able to use `*` directly on two DenseVectors (but rather `*:*`)

-- David

Darren Wilkinson

May 9, 2021, 6:38:20 AM5/9/21
to Scala Breeze
I was rescaling the rows of X using the weights specified in sW, but switching * to *:* seems to work fine, thanks.

Darren Wilkinson

May 13, 2021, 11:06:32 AM5/13/21
to Scala Breeze
Please could you do a snapshot release for 3.0.0 ?

Thanks,

David Hall

May 13, 2021, 4:58:44 PM5/13/21
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I don't see maven artifacts yet, but I'll publish a release shortly if it's up by this weekend. I'll be away from my main computer next week though.

Marcel Luethi

May 23, 2021, 12:37:03 AM5/23/21
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

I finally managed to port my own project, Scalismo, to Scala 3 and thereby to test also breeze 2.0-SNAPSHOT.
As you said, using breeze 1.x in compatibility mode did not work due to implicit resolutions, but switching to breeze 2.0-SNAPSHOT worked flawlessly. The project uses the standard linalg operations (Matrix/Vector multiplications, SVD, Cholesky, Matrix inverse, ...) but no sparse matrices.

The only issue I encountered on the way is the same that Darren already reported, namely that using * for broadcasting does not seem to work anymore.

What is your estimated timeline regarding a non-snapshot release targeting Scala 3.0.0?

Best regards,

Marcel