sbt-logo proposals

Eugene Yokota

Sep 11, 2013, 10:14:59 AM9/11/13
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
originally posted as: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/simple-build-tool/7_C1IPrIp2w/Mt7hfd03PWIJ

I've made a few updates since I first posted: http://eed3si9n.com/sbt-logo

More entrants would be nice.

-eugene

Mark Harrah

Sep 11, 2013, 10:58:10 AM9/11/13
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 07:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
Eugene Yokota <eed3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> originally posted
> as: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/simple-build-tool/7_C1IPrIp2w/Mt7hfd03PWIJ
>
> I've made a few updates since I first posted: http://eed3si9n.com/sbt-logo
> Source is here: https://github.com/eed3si9n/sbt-logo

Thanks, Eugene. I assume the ~ size and position are due to the font used, but it would be nice for it to be larger and vertically centered. One might also imagine a t-shirt with something witty after the ~ instead of compile.

-Mark

> More entrants would be nice.
>
> -eugene

Eugene Yokota

Sep 11, 2013, 11:28:45 AM9/11/13
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
To clarify, the only part I am proposing as logo the "sbt" part, which is a series of vector graphic, and maybe the orange color.

The rest is rendering sample of how it would look like in small size (on top of a website), medium size, and large (for merch).
I tried to think of something witty to put in the shell prompt, but I settled on ~compile, which
conveys that it can compile stuff to those who don't know what sbt is, and modestly brags about the fact you implemented zinc.
But like I said, you can  change that part to

    > set scalacOptions in ThisBuld += "-unchecked"

or

    > ~testOnly org.nescala 2014

or whatever.

-eugene

Mark Harrah

Sep 11, 2013, 12:09:21 PM9/11/13
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:28:45 -0700 (PDT)
Eugene Yokota <eed3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To clarify, the only part I am proposing as logo the "sbt" part, which is a
> series of vector graphic, and maybe the orange color.

Yep.

Orange would be in time for Halloween. spooky build tool, ~haunt.

> The rest is rendering sample of how it would look like in small size (on
> top of a website), medium size, and large (for merch).
> I tried to think of something witty to put in the shell prompt, but I
> settled on ~compile, which
> conveys that it can compile stuff to those who don't know what sbt is, and modestly
> brags about the fact you implemented zinc.

Yeah, ~compile is safe.

> But like I said, you can change that part to
>
> > set scalacOptions in ThisBuld += "-unchecked"
>
> or
>
> > ~testOnly org.nescala 2014
>
> or whatever.

Sounds good.

-Mark

> -eugene
>
> On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:58:10 AM UTC-4, Mark Harrah wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 07:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
> > Eugene Yokota <eed3...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > > originally posted
> > > as:
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/simple-build-tool/7_C1IPrIp2w/Mt7hfd03PWIJ
> > >
> > > I've made a few updates since I first posted:
> > http://eed3si9n.com/sbt-logo
> > > Source is here: https://github.com/eed3si9n/sbt-logo
> >
> > Thanks, Eugene. I assume the ~ size and position are due to the font
> > used, but it would be nice for it to be larger and vertically centered.
> > One might also imagine a t-shirt with something witty after the ~ instead
> > of compile.
> >
> > -Mark

Josh Suereth

Jan 6, 2014, 1:16:03 PM1/6/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to resurrect this one form the dead.  Eugene or anyone, ideas on an sbt logo?

eugene yokota

Jan 6, 2014, 2:31:27 PM1/6/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
The current proposal lacks RoboCop.
To incorporate building and tooling, one should look into propaganda posters:

Josh Suereth

Jan 6, 2014, 2:47:04 PM1/6/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
I think: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-106952339/stock-vector-general-strike-poster-general-strike-propaganda-hands-holding-hammer-and-wrench.html is pretty good.

Seriously though, https://github.com/eed3si9n/sbt-logo/blob/gh-pages/sbt-logo-black-600x360.png isn't bad.  My symmetrical mind can't take the rounded B with a hex hole.  I'm still looking for an allen wrench now...

Christopher Hunt

Jan 8, 2014, 8:07:23 PM1/8/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, 7 January 2014 06:47:04 UTC+11, Josh Suereth wrote:
Seriously though, https://github.com/eed3si9n/sbt-logo/blob/gh-pages/sbt-logo-black-600x360.png isn't bad.  My symmetrical mind can't take the rounded B with a hex hole.  I'm still looking for an allen wrench now...

I think that this looks great. It conveys rugged, serious, "not to be meddled with" build tooling. It is strong, and that's a good thing IMHO.

Josh Suereth

Jan 8, 2014, 9:01:57 PM1/8/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps my joking didn't come across well. I actually love the logo idea.  What do you think about making the B actually look like an allen wrench?   I think that'd be pretty cool, and I'd stamp that on all sbt-related things....

Josh Suereth

Jan 8, 2014, 9:07:46 PM1/8/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
In any case, given my lack of experience in how to do logos, I think what Eugene proposed would stand unless I manage to get this idea out.

eugene yokota

Jan 9, 2014, 1:02:07 AM1/9/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Allen wrench as in hex keys, right? How does that work?
The wrench that came up to my mind in from "simple" and building tool was the IKEA
wrench that looks too simple to be able to make the a bed frame - http://banagale.com/substitute-tool-for-ikea-malm-bed-frame-and-desk.htm

-eugene

Josh Suereth

Jan 9, 2014, 7:32:00 AM1/9/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I was trying to see if I could make it more adjustable-wrench-like.   One of those cartoony drawings, so it's more obvious it's a play on a wrench.

The more I played with the idea though, the more I like yours.  If you use a tool image for the "b" it actually makes it much less readable.   More so than I had expected.

SO, let's take a vote.   Anyone against Eugene's logo please speak up.   Silence will be viewed as consnet :)

Fernando Racca

Jan 19, 2014, 11:58:29 AM1/19/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com

My design skills are obviously non existing, but i think something around this concept could be a good idea. A reactive build that helps keep your build "green".

I quickly hacked thisPng file in Pixlr, but obviously needs some more work done with vectors. Maybe somebody can improve on it? An SVG like Eugenes would be the way to go. It should also be more circular and consistent.

Suggestions?

Fernando Racca

Josh Suereth

Jan 20, 2014, 2:03:24 PM1/20/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
The idea is neat.   Another idea would be  `>~ sbt` as our text.  Maybe combined with eugene's proposal?

Fernando Racca

Jan 20, 2014, 3:50:53 PM1/20/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
It's certainly an option. I took it out (hence the extra space) because i thought it would be too many different parts, and the "brand" is a bit lost. You should be able to identify SBT by just the isotype withouth the need for a logotype which usually takes much more space.

I.e., to have an icon as recognizable as the bird in tweeter or the "flag" in Windows, as opposed to a long stylised text like Coca Cola or Google.

Alternatively, a designer can be hired to design a logo very cheaply online ( even less than $50). Maybe it's an option?

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 20, 2014, 9:05:09 PM1/20/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Fernando Racca <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

My design skills are obviously non existing, but i think something around this concept could be a good idea. A reactive build that helps keep your build "green".

I think they obviously are existing. :)

Can I borrow your "reactive" symbolism for reactive?

Can you elaborate on the symbolism?

Fernando Racca

Jan 21, 2014, 3:44:55 PM1/21/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
I'd give priority to SBT, but otherwise if it doesn't progress, yes, be my guest.

It's basically a play on a recurring event, and making it "green", since that's what we'd like the build to progress to.

Cheers,
Fernando

Josh Suereth

Jan 24, 2014, 10:20:30 AM1/24/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
I like it. I may take a crack in an SVG editor and see what comes out.  I still like what Eugene was doing with the wrench idea too... hmm.....

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 26, 2014, 5:20:07 PM1/26/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com

I wouldn't take it verbatim, just borrow the symbolism. On phone so would continue later.

Josh Suereth

Mar 13, 2014, 12:12:15 PM3/13/14
to sbt...@googlegroups.com
So, what does everyone think about this?  It's been growing on me, BUT this bikeshed (err... logo) is better in blue.

sbt-logo.png