How to measure Common Mode blocking impedance?

W4ZQ

Apr 23, 2020, 9:36:13 PM4/23/20
to sark110
This may have been covered by the various topics on ferrites. I am trying to measure the blocking impedance or R value of the impedance as it pertains to ferrite chokes. There was one description by Owen Duffy (https://owenduffy.net/blog/?p=3489) that I tried but the measured values looked a bit off. Is there a better way?
Thanks, Terry, W4ZQ

John G3PQA

Apr 24, 2020, 3:46:48 AM4/24/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com, W4ZQ
Terry,
You may be aware that Jim Brown K9YC has done a lot of work on this subject. For example:-
k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf
www.k9yc.com/CoaxChokesPPT.pdf
John

On 24/04/2020 02:36, W4ZQ wrote:
This may have been covered by the various topics on ferrites. I am trying to measure the blocking impedance or R value of the impedance as it pertains to ferrite chokes. There was one description by Owen Duffy (https://owenduffy.net/blog/?p=3489) that I tried but the measured values looked a bit off. Is there a better way?
Thanks, Terry, W4ZQ

Sparky

Apr 24, 2020, 3:52:41 AM4/24/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

Hi John,

I wrote a fundamentals paper on this for the QRM website that I co-developed in VK.

https://qrm.guru/the-truth-about-ferrites/

Maybe this document will answer some of your questions.

Regards, Ian VK3BUF