Noisy Input Problem

k3gau Dave

Apr 27, 2020, 12:25:06 PM4/27/20
to sark110
GM,

I had noticed what seemed to be "a noisy input" problem even before I had Steve repair my SARK 110.  So his repair had NOTHING to do with the problem.

It doesn't seem to act right then it is looking at an the open circuit.  It does seem to read a short, 50 ohm, 100 ohm and 200 ohm loads across its bandwidth just fine.  But looking at an open, it sometimes reads out some negative resistances, etc. when measuring 'RS' and plots them on the screen as well.  The problem seems worse at the higher end of the spectrum when scanning the full 230 MHz range.  As I recall, when I first got my unit, open circuit 'RS' was always full scale, a high value (in the kOhms) and never a negative.  I have gone through the detector check and calibration procedures.  They seemed to be about normal.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?  Bad component, bad solder joint?

Dave

melchor...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2020, 12:33:41 PM4/27/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dave,

Could you please save a scan for the open circuit condition (connecting the same open load as the used for calibration) and send to me for analysis? Also, it will be helpful if you send me the calibration files.

Thanks,

Melchor EA4FRB

k3gau Dave

Apr 27, 2020, 1:24:34 PM4/27/20
to sark110
Melcor,
What files are looking for? (name)
Dave

melchor...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2020, 1:29:40 PM4/27/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

The calibration .dat files, e.g. detcalib.dat, oslcalib.dat, oslprof1.dat; and a saved .csv file for the sweep scan with the open load (select <File> <Save Data File> after completing the scan).

Thanks,

Melchor

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sark110/b9940772-5794-4697-a133-b87d1a8a1649%40googlegroups.com.

k3gau Dave

Apr 27, 2020, 1:35:23 PM4/27/20
to sark110

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 12:33:41 PM UTC-4, EA4FRB wrote:

detcalib.dat
oslcalib.dat
oslprof1.dat
oslprof3.dat
sark__01.csv
sark__02.csv
sark__03.csv

k3gau Dave

Apr 27, 2020, 1:40:27 PM4/27/20
to sark110
Melchor,

I think I sent all files you ask for and probably a couple you don't need.   SARK 1, SARK 2 and SARK 3 are three different shots of my screen taken within a few minutes.

Dave

melchor...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2020, 3:45:04 PM4/27/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the files. I don’t see a problem with these readings and the cal files. When there is no load connected, it is possible to get negative Rs readings influenced by noise because the error is high when the load is close to the infinity.  Also, there is the influence of the used open load for the OSL calibration.

Best regards,

Melchor EA4FRB

Apr 27, 2020, 7:16:45 PM4/27/20
to sark110
GE Melchor,

Have you plotted those Sark files?   I would like to send you a picture of the SARK screen but my cellphone is not working.  Maybe I can use my other camera. I can save a file with the 'open' removed and just the open connector on the input.

In any case, I don't remember my screen looking that when it was new.

I got them with my other camera.  Does that look normal for an 'OPEN' condition?

Dave K3GAU

DSC03881.JPG
DSC03882.JPG
DSC03883.JPG

melchor...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2020, 2:13:10 AM4/28/20
to sar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dave,

Yes, I have plotted those files. Note that the ripples are more or less visible depending on the selected scale: fixed or automatic; or logarithmic (default) or linear. Please find below some pics for comparing.

The fact is that for the open condition it is possible to get negative readings of Rs due to the increased error close to infinity and influenced by the noise. This effect can be reduced by using averaging and/or double sampling, and calibrating w/o a computer connected.

Figure 1, sark__01.csv, logarithmic scale, auto-scale

Figure 2,  sark__01.csv, linear scale, auto-scale

Figure 3, sark__01.csv, linear scale, auto-scale (SARK_Plots)

Figure 4, sark__01.csv, smith chart

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sark110/8efc52e0-673c-4f7d-b853-729814e04e1c%40googlegroups.com.

image002.jpg
image004.jpg