Water maser triplet (of 6)

Michiel Klaassen

Jan 10, 2023, 10:23:07 AM1/10/23
to sara-list, camras-forum
I did not know this 2 weeks ago, so that was a surprise.
It appears that the 22GHz water maser emits on 3 (of 6) frequencies 22 235 120 338Hz, 22 235 077 660Hz and 22 234 044 000Hz.
Also the intensities are different; on highest freq 78%, mid freq 100% and lowest freq 119%.
When calculating the lowest temperature (doppler broadening) of the cloud this will complicate things. At high intensities the cause is beaming and not temperature.
..Funny
continuing crunching the collected data of Orion-KL.
Michiel
parac.eu
water-maser-triplets.jpg

fasleitung3

Jan 12, 2023, 1:22:18 PM1/12/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com, camras-forum
Hi Michiel,
This is essentially the same as you find with OH where the hyperfine splitting gives rise to four lines at ~ 1612, 1665, 1667 and 1720 MHz. The frequency differnce is less in water but the physics is the same.
Best,
Wolfgang
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CAABBjRA0bAwVkv90yTkQ9hTETG7OhMuNn0z%3DVqh%3Db9H-fpS30A%40mail.gmail.com.

Michiel Klaassen

Jan 24, 2023, 6:06:40 AM1/24/23
to sara...@googlegroups.com, camras-forum
We did some calculations on the water molecule maser, and put the thermal doppler broadening temperature next to the profile.
The idea is to fit (with Python curve_fit) the profile onto the collected data and in this way find the temperature of the cloud. That is, if it is caused by temperature movement only. It is not valid when the maser is flaring. In the early days this flaring was said to be caused by "imaginative pumping". Today's explanation is "beaming" (but not by ET).
I will post more in another message dealing with the Orion-KL source. Data capturing and postprocessing was done with CFRAD2.exe and Python plot.

I did not test the idea yet to see if I can fit the hydrogen atom line also with this method. That would be a nice method to calculate the temperature of the peaks in an independent way.
Verification could be done by comparison with the H1 database.
Michiel
parac.eu

triple-water-maser-gaussian-profiles-01.png