Clarification

Ganapathy R

Nov 17, 2021, 11:33:03 AM11/17/21
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste

I need one clarification. In Visarga Sandhi when  + : + (/soft consonants)  = उकार: And  उकार takes गुण and becomes ओ. However, if the visarga is preceded by an avyaya then this rule is not applicable. Instead in this case the visarga takes रेफादेश. And the oft quoted examples are पुनरत्र, प्रातर्गच्छति.

However, I believe the word तत: is an avyaya but this rule does not seem to apply to this word. I find तत: ‍‍‍+ युद्धाधाय = ततो युद्धाधाय (BG 2.38). Similarly आदित्यहृदयम् starts with ततो युद्ध परिश्रान्तम्.

Therefore, can anyone clarify if there are any exceptions to the रेफादेश rule applying to avyayas.

Om and pranam

Many thanks and kind regards
Ganapathy

A J PURUSHOTHAMAN

Nov 18, 2021, 8:13:48 AM11/18/21
to sams...@googlegroups.com
रामरामराम।

श्रीगुरुभ्योनमः। हरिःॐ।

The noun-bases of ततः, इतः, अतः are ततस्, इतस्, अतस्। whereas for पुनः, प्रातः etc are  पुनर् , प्रातर् , etc. Hence there is no रेफादेशः for पुनर् प्रातर् etc.

The Sutras set for processing रेफान्त words are totally different from the Sutra sets of that of the words ending with सकारः। So,

पुनर् अत्र - No Sandhi and it is पुनरत्र।...
But in पुनःपुनः the rephantha of first word gets visargadesha thence since succeeding letter is पकार gets उपध्मानीयादेशः or विसर्गः optionally.

After initial instructional knowledge of Sandhikaryas, when one approaches Paniniyam by Sutra-based (Ashtadhyayi based) process of Sandhi karyas these subtle differences can be known.

Paniniya Sutra based (Ashtadhyayi based) knowledge can be gained by perusing Laghu / Vaiyakarana Siddhanta kaumudee or Kashka.

जयतु संस्कृतम्।
पुरुषोत्तमशर्मा।

Ganapathy R

Nov 18, 2021, 1:57:48 PM11/18/21
to sams...@googlegroups.com
हरि: ओम् महोदय. कृतज्ञोऽस्मि । धन्यवाद: ।