Sahana Strategic Planning - Goals Progress

Michael Howden

Aug 24, 2014, 11:30:50 PM8/24/14
to members, Sahana Discuss, Sahana Eden
Dear All,

I've gone through and done an *initial* rank of the goals that we've all added to the Sahana Strategic Plan based on the number of supporters for each goal. If a goal had no volunteers or <2 supporters, I took it off the plan for this year:
  • Goals
    • What other goals should the Sahana Community have?
    • Sahana Eden 1.0 Release (6)
    • Implement Sahana Sunflower (4)
    • Develop a network of Sahana support and customization Service Providers (4)
    • Set up a Sahana Response Support Team (3)
    • Establish Local Sahana Branches around the World (3)
    • Data Repository (3)
    • Maintain Trunk Branch (2)
    • Improve QA (2)
    • Give Certification for Sahana service providers / deployments / developers (2)
    • Develop a Sahana Code of Conduct (1)
  • Goals for Next Year (or Beyond)
    • Develop "Fee-For-Service" projects for Sahana Software Foundation (1)
    • Recognize Volunteer Contributions (1)
    • Engage/Grow Membership of the Sahana Software Foundation (0)
    • Create a better Sahana Demo (0)
    • Improve & Update the Sahana Website (0)
    • Have dedicated capacity to s Support organisations and communities implementing Sahana software (0)
If you think that there's goals that we should/n't be focusing on, please go ahead and make your case to attract/detract supporters - I'll revise this list throughout the week as supporter change :)
Bear in mind that we do need to draw the line somewhere and that we should encourage people to work on what they are interested by.

What is more important at this stage is that we start to develop each of these goals further. I've been through the goals for this year and tidied up the text a little, as well as identifying outstanding questions to be resolved.

To move things forward, one supporter for each of the goals should volunteer as a owner (add "volunteer owner" after your name) for that goal. This is mainly to take responsibility for filling in the details and ensuring that any outstanding questions are answered - it doesn't mean that you've got to do everything to achieve the goal ;)

Particularly it would be good to know in regards to the Success Criteria, Implementation Plan and Resource - what can be achieved:
  • Without any funding / additional resources? (maybe nothing)
  • With a basic level of funding / additional resource (and what is this level)?
  • With an ideal level of funding / additional resource (and what is this level)?

I regard my main role as trying to provide funding / additional resource. I do believe that part of this will involve re-structuring the current strategic plan document - so don't worry if about it's flow. Please let me know if there is any other specific support you need from me.

I'll be facilitating virtual meetings to discuss the goals in more detail later today. If there are detailed things you would like to discuss I would HIGHLY recommend coming to one of these meetings (and inviting anyone you'd like to discuss things with too!). Email threads have their limitations:

25 Aug 2014 0900 UTC
WebEx: https://tacops.webex.com/tacops/j.php?MTID=m14f7a28c688af3c6d2aeeec7ac66138f  Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4490 Access Code: 714 125 736

25 Aug 2014 2100 UTC
WebEx: https://tacops.webex.com/tacops/j.php?MTID=m7f1a6707fa32049ba3244dadad21e660  Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4490 Access Code: 716 048 452

The target is to have these completed by 29th August (Friday!) so that we can finalize our Strategic Plan.

Cheers

--
Michael Howden
CEO, Sahana Software Foundation

Dominic König

Aug 25, 2014, 1:28:01 AM8/25/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com, members, Sahana Discuss
Michael--

I am puzzled by the fact that your name doesn't appear under any goal?

Dominic

Michael Howden

Aug 25, 2014, 1:36:52 AM8/25/14
to Dominic König, sahan...@googlegroups.com, members, Sahana Discuss
Dominic,

Subject: Re: Sahana Strategic Planning - Goals
On 19/08/14 1:39 PM, Michael Howden wrote:
  • List your name under the goals that you support for the community. Put a " (volunteer)" after your name if this is something that you're interested in volunteering on. This will let us know if there are goals that we can move forward on without additional resource (although perhaps not as quickly). You may notice my name lacking - but naturally I'll be supporting whatever initiatives the community prioritizes.
I'll get behind any of the goals we adopt and volunteer where necessary. In a way consider my name volunteering under all of them.

Less puzzled now?

Cheers

Michael Howden
CEO, Sahana Software Foundation
mic...@sahanafoundation.org
skype: michael.howden
+64 (21) 126-1360
+1 (213) 261-4250
twitter:@michaelhowden
www.sahanafoundation.org

Dominic König

Aug 25, 2014, 1:37:05 AM8/25/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com, members, Sahana Discuss
Sorry, but I can make neither the one nor the other (overlapping meetings).

Need to stick to email.

Dominic

Dominic König

Aug 25, 2014, 2:26:10 AM8/25/14
to Michael Howden, sahan...@googlegroups.com, members, Sahana Discuss
Yes and no - you said the "volunteer owner" role is primarily to fill the details under each goal, evaluate feasibility and determine the required resources/funding, and I would have thought that for some of the goals you are in a really good position to do that, so I wonder what holds you back?

Much less about you "being behind" any goal - I know you are. But IMHO you have better insight into some things than others here, so you could actually take on the "owner" task for one or two in order to support the analysis?

(You're already doing a lot, don't get me wrong)

Dominic

> 25 aug 2014 kl. 07:36 skrev Michael Howden <mic...@sahanafoundation.org>:
>
> Less puzzled now?

Michael Howden

Aug 25, 2014, 4:11:43 AM8/25/14
On 25/08/14 6:26 PM, Dominic König wrote:
Yes and no - you said the "volunteer owner" role is primarily to fill the details under each goal, evaluate feasibility and determine the required resources/funding, and I would have thought that for some of the goals you are in a really good position to do that,
I have (guiltily!) done this for a couple already - and I suspect that I'll be doing a lot of pulling together and rationalizing through the end of the process.
so I wonder what holds you back?
  • This is a community plan - not just my plan!
  • There are others who are much better informed & skilled to take owner
  • I want to give space for others to get involved, engaged and take leadership
Much less about you "being behind" any goal - I know you are. But IMHO you have better insight into some things than others here, so you could actually take on the "owner" task for one or two in order to support the analysis?
Any in particular? I'm happy to pick up things which are passed to me :)

(You're already doing a lot, don't get me wrong)
Thanks :)

Cheers

Michael

Dominic König

Aug 25, 2014, 4:36:49 AM8/25/14
måndagen den 25 augusti 2014 20.11.37 skrev Michael Howden:
> * This is a community plan - not just my plan!
> * There are others who are much better informed & skilled to take owner
> * I want to give space for others to get involved, engaged and take
> leadership
Understood.

Thanks,
Dominic
signature.asc

Louiqa Raschid

Aug 26, 2014, 2:25:47 AM8/26/14
to Michael Howden, members, Sahana Discuss, Sahana Eden

Michael - GREAT work on developing a bullet list of goals.
I think that at this stage it is up to our community to
step forward to take ownership of tasks that are important
to each individual. The us/them discussion has been useful
but it is definitely time to move on to some actionable items.

@Connie - Yes our community can indulge in some flamethrowing
but in this prior discussion I think that Michael has done
a good job to try to douse the flames and keep the discussion
on track? As you mentioned, many years ago there were no
vendors for Sahana products. But the last two years has seen
numerous projects where AidIQ, or SSF, or small volunteer
teams have implemented a range of solutions. All of that
effort has been ad hoc in nature and what we need now is
a strategic plan to complement and strengthen such ad foc
efforts.

@Nuwan - Despite the mish mash of fishing metaphors :) ...
I think that your description of a stable release was great!

Louiqa

Michael Howden

Aug 28, 2014, 6:49:41 PM8/28/14
to Louiqa Raschid, members, Sahana Discuss, Sahana Eden
Hey,

On 26/08/14 6:25 PM, Louiqa Raschid wrote:
> Michael - GREAT work on developing a bullet list of goals.
Thanks Louiqa - but this really has been a group effort!
> I think that at this stage it is up to our community to
> step forward to take ownership of tasks that are important
> to each individual.
A big thanks to Fran who's already stepped up to take ownership for the
Sahana Response Support Team and Data Repository goals.
I encourage anyone else who's keen to take ownership over any of the
other goals. Feel free to contact me if you're interested or want to
have a chat about what this will invovle.
> The us/them discussion has been useful
> but it is definitely time to move on to some actionable items.
Definitely! I'm going to put together a list of actions that we can do.
These will hopefully give people more clarity on ways they can
contribute and shouldn't put additional burden on volunteers. My main
focus will be on the tasks that I can do over the next year.

Cheers