Bash in Ubuntu on Win10

Roberto Roson

Oct 13, 2016, 7:17:06 AM10/13/16
to sage-windows
Hello guys,
you may know that the recent Windows anniversary update has brought a Ubuntu subsystem fully operational inside Windows.
I tried to install there Sage using the Ubuntu PPA, but without success so far.
Anybody has more information?
Is there any plan to exploit the Ubuntu susbsytem for the porting of Sage on Windows?
Many Thanks
Roberto

Bill Hart

Oct 13, 2016, 7:42:47 AM10/13/16
to sage-w...@googlegroups.com
I had no trouble running the Sage binary from the Sage website on the Windows subsystem for Linux. I don't think the Ubuntu PPA is the best place to get Sage. Just wget the binary tarball from the Sage website and unpack it.

Bill.

Roberto

Samuel Lelièvre

Nov 2, 2016, 4:02:48 PM11/2/16
to sage-windows

2016-10-13 13:17:06 UTC+2, Roberto Roson:
Hi, thanks for writing about this!

Yes, the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" has been mentioned
on sage-devel and sage-windows.

It was also mentioned on Ask Sage when someone asked how
to install Sage under Windows 10.