sage textbook goes GitHub; don't confuse it with the good one ;-)

john_perry_usm

Jun 19, 2021, 8:58:57 PM6/19/21
to sage-support
Greetings

Five years ago, a couple of colleagues and I began writing a Sage-based textbook to serve a class we teach at our institution. When we announced it to Sage users, we received an encouraging reception and excellent feedback. If that was meant to discourage us, it failed completely. ;-)

We've updated it pretty regularly since then, correcting a lot of errors and adding a few new features, even updating to Python3. The sources have been available online for a while, but after half a decade it seems time to get a little less behind the times than we have been and move the entire project to GitHub. So, here you go:

A new PDF version is included as a "Release", so you don't have to clone it, let alone build it. (Look for "Releases" on the right.) The license is CC-BY-SA, so feel free to clone it, fork it, commit it, push it, and any other unethical-sounding VCS operation that suits your fancy. You can even introduce errors that we haven't already included!

To honor the occasion we changed the title. Two of the authors are very pleased with the acronym.

We hope people find this useful for teaching, learning, and using Sage. People besides us, that is. :-)

regards
john perry

Henri Girard

Jun 19, 2021, 10:33:44 PM6/19/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Wonderfull, i was waiting for this wonder :)

thanks

Henri

Henri Girard

Jun 19, 2021, 10:58:44 PM6/19/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

For french : https://smallpdf.com/fr/blog/traduire-un-pdf

It's not as good as the nativ one but still not to bad

Henri

Ingo Dahn

Jun 20, 2021, 2:15:28 PM6/20/21
to sage-support
That looks great and I am looking forward to reading it more in detail. Just two quick questions to get started.
Is this also published on CoCalc?
Why do you prefer the use of Sage Worksheets over Jupyter Notebook?
Best wishes
Ingo

john_perry_usm

Jun 21, 2021, 1:08:41 PM6/21/21
to sage-support
Hello!

> Is this also published on CoCalc?

Not at the present time. I do mean to talk to someone about it.

> Why do you prefer the use of Sage Worksheets over Jupyter Notebook?

I'm not entirely clear on when "Sage Worksheets" became Jupyter notebooks. I think, when we started 5 years ago, that we weren't aware of the switch; I certainly wasn't. I personally haven't looked enough into the details and/or differences to write intelligently about them.

john perry

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 21, 2021, 1:40:09 PM6/21/21
to sage-support
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 6:08 PM john_perry_usm <john....@usm.edu> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > Is this also published on CoCalc?
>
> Not at the present time. I do mean to talk to someone about it.
>
> > Why do you prefer the use of Sage Worksheets over Jupyter Notebook?
>
> I'm not entirely clear on when "Sage Worksheets" became Jupyter notebooks. I think, when we started 5 years ago, that we weren't aware of the switch; I certainly wasn't. I personally haven't looked enough into the details and/or differences to write intelligently about them.

this is something you'd certainly update to Jupyter.

sage: notebook()

isn't working since few years, and sagenb is gone.

> john perry
>
> On Sunday, June 20, 2021 at 1:15:28 PM UTC-5 ingo...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> That looks great and I am looking forward to reading it more in detail. Just two quick questions to get started.
>> Is this also published on CoCalc?
>> Why do you prefer the use of Sage Worksheets over Jupyter Notebook?
>> Best wishes
>> Ingo
>> john_perry_usm schrieb am Sonntag, 20. Juni 2021 um 02:58:57 UTC+2:
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Five years ago, a couple of colleagues and I began writing a Sage-based textbook to serve a class we teach at our institution. When we announced it to Sage users, we received an encouraging reception and excellent feedback. If that was meant to discourage us, it failed completely. ;-)
>>>
>>> We've updated it pretty regularly since then, correcting a lot of errors and adding a few new features, even updating to Python3. The sources have been available online for a while, but after half a decade it seems time to get a little less behind the times than we have been and move the entire project to GitHub. So, here you go:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/johnperry-math/mew_cats
>>>
>>> A new PDF version is included as a "Release", so you don't have to clone it, let alone build it. (Look for "Releases" on the right.) The license is CC-BY-SA, so feel free to clone it, fork it, commit it, push it, and any other unethical-sounding VCS operation that suits your fancy. You can even introduce errors that we haven't already included!
>>>
>>> To honor the occasion we changed the title. Two of the authors are very pleased with the acronym.
>>>
>>> We hope people find this useful for teaching, learning, and using Sage. People besides us, that is. :-)
>>>
>>> regards
>>> john perry

William Stein

Jun 21, 2021, 2:32:07 PM6/21/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:08 AM john_perry_usm <john....@usm.edu> wrote:
Hello!

> Is this also published on CoCalc?

Not at the present time. I do mean to talk to someone about it.

Just make a PR to

and we'll happily host a copy.  This makes it so with a click, people can quickly get a copy of the document...

> Why do you prefer the use of Sage Worksheets over Jupyter Notebook?

I'm not entirely clear on when "Sage Worksheets" became Jupyter notebooks. I think, when we started 5 years ago, that we weren't aware of the switch; I certainly wasn't. I personally haven't looked enough into the details and/or differences to write intelligently about them.

Sage worksheets = a way of using Sage in Cocalc *ONLY* that involves a single codemirror editor document, and a really powerful way to easily define %mode's. It's very tightly integrated with Sage.   It's also written in a pretty old style (using a lot of html and jquery), and I plan to rewrite it soon, since it's one of the only things left in CoCalc that isn't written in Typescript/React.  Sage worksheets are implemented entirely separately from the Jupyter stack, not even using the Jupyter kernel for Sage (instead, they have their own backend server process, which uses fork each time  you make a new connection, for faster startup).  They do have a way to easily create any number of connections to different Jupyter kernels, and use them all in the same worksheet.   I wrote Sage worksheets mainly 2012-2014, and have maintained them ever since, because they are pretty popular on CoCalc, e.g., they just use a normal single document editor interface, rather than a "weird" modal interface with many little editors like Jupyter notebooks, and some people find the Sage worksheet approach more natural.
One nuisance of Sage worksheets is that the exact version of Sage isn't specified anywhere in the file format -- it just uses whatever "sage" is in your path.  Jupyter is better in this regard.

Jupyter notebooks = of course we all know what they are.

I'm personally a huge fan of both, but they are very different.    I hope I can unify the two approaches sometime soon, so that there's a mode for using any Jupyter notebook that looks like a Sage worksheet... and so the custom Sage server mentioned above is just a different Jupyter kernel (maybe called "cocalc-sage").

[...]

Henri Girard

Jun 21, 2021, 2:52:38 PM6/21/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Strange ? I never heard about this github before ?

thanks

Henri

Henri Girard

Jun 21, 2021, 4:20:28 PM6/21/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

https://github.com/aishenri/sagelechat/blob/main/saglechat.pdf

google translation, it has something funny !

john_perry_usm

Jun 23, 2021, 1:43:50 PM6/23/21
to sage-support
On Monday, June 21, 2021 at 1:32:07 PM UTC-5 wst...@gmail.com wrote:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:08 AM john_perry_usm <john....@usm.edu> wrote:
Hello!

> Is this also published on CoCalc?

Not at the present time. I do mean to talk to someone about it.

Just make a PR to

and we'll happily host a copy.  This makes it so with a click, people can quickly get a copy of the document...

The current edition of this repository appears to be broken. I've opened an issue, but I think it's related to issue 12, which would need to be resolved first (again, I think).

john perry