Question related to Sagemath permission on Github

Juan Grados

Jan 21, 2024, 7:25:42 AMJan 21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I have a question about how you deal with deletion policies in Sagemath. Specifically, I plan to create a repository with many people involved. This repo MUST have several admins (who can potentially delete the repo). To protect the repo from arbitrary deletion, I need to know if Github allows adding a rule to avoid a repository being deleted by a single person. In other words, I need to know if there is a way to add a rule where others must agree each time one wants to delete a repo. Do you know that? or have you had the same question in Sagemath? If so, how do you solve it?

Thanks in advance for your time.
D.Sc. Juan del Carmen Grados Vásquez
Laboratório Nacional de Computação Científica
Tel: +55 21 97633 3228
(http://www.lncc.br/)
http://juaninf.blogspot.com

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 21, 2024, 12:17:50 PMJan 21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On 21 January 2024 12:25:23 GMT, Juan Grados <jua...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a question about how you deal with deletion policies in Sagemath.
>Specifically, I plan to create a repository with many people involved. This
>repo MUST have several admins (who can potentially delete the repo). To
>protect the repo from arbitrary deletion, I need to know if Github allows
>adding a rule to avoid a repository being deleted by a single person. In
>other words, I need to know if there is a way to add a rule where others
>must agree each time one wants to delete a repo. Do you know that? or have
>you had the same question in Sagemath? If so, how do you solve it?

I don't know for sure (I would be surprised if they had this feature), but you can just
have a mirror for this repository (which is a good idea regardless).

HTH
Dima

Nils Bruin

Jan 22, 2024, 11:57:52 AMJan 22
to sage-support
On Sunday 21 January 2024 at 04:25:42 UTC-8 Juan Grados wrote:
To protect the repo from arbitrary deletion, I need to know if Github allows adding a rule to avoid a repository being deleted by a single person.
If you encourage a workflow with forks and pull requests then everybody will have their own copy anyway. Then the question is more: is there a way to reinstate a repo after it is deleted? Then it will be recovering from an admin mistake, just as any misjudged commit will be (if you have to worry about your admins inadvertently deleting your repo then you'll have to worry about wrong merges even more). And if you expect that your admins are prone to making mistakes, people will probably be much happier living mainly in their own repo and only interacting with the central one if they have to (for pull requests). It of course does add a level of indirection to staying up-to-date, but I think the sage github documentation has some tips on minimizing the pain in that (and otherwise other projects will).

Jan Groenewald

Jan 22, 2024, 12:58:46 PMJan 22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com