Is there a binary version of SageMath .app.dmg compatiable with Mac OS X ver. 10.14.6

Samuel Dupree

Jul 25, 2019, 11:26:07 PM7/25/19
to sage-support

I'm attempting to update SageMath-8.7.app on an iMacPro running Mac OS X ver. 10.14.6 tp SageMath-8.8.app. The problem for the moment occurs when I decompress sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg, the operation crashes my iMacPro with the message captured in the attached file.

Any suggestions?

Sam Dupree.

dump_from_SageMath-8.8.app.dmg.txt

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 26, 2019, 3:32:06 AM7/26/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 06:26, Samuel Dupree <sdu...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

I'm attempting to update SageMath-8.7.app on an iMacPro running Mac OS X ver. 10.14.6 tp SageMath-8.8.app. The problem for the moment occurs when I decompress sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg, the operation crashes my iMacPro with the message captured in the attached file.

there is no OSX-10.14 compatible app version available, for there are changes needed to be done, and someone with knowledge of OSX (err, Mac OS) frontend programming needs to step forward and do the needed work...

HTH,
Dima

Any suggestions?

Sam Dupree.

John H Palmieri

Jul 26, 2019, 12:33:25 PM7/26/19
to sage-support

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 12:32:06 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 06:26, Samuel Dupree <sdu...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

I'm attempting to update SageMath-8.7.app on an iMacPro running Mac OS X ver. 10.14.6 tp SageMath-8.8.app. The problem for the moment occurs when I decompress sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg, the operation crashes my iMacPro with the message captured in the attached file.

there is no OSX-10.14 compatible app version available, for there are changes needed to be done, and someone with knowledge of OSX (err, Mac OS) frontend programming needs to step forward and do the needed work...

What about http://mirrors.xmission.com/sage/osx/intel/sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg? This works for me with OS X 10.14.6, although I haven't yet tried on an iMac Pro.

  John

HTH,
Dima

Any suggestions?

Sam Dupree.

John H Palmieri

Jul 26, 2019, 2:54:34 PM7/26/19
to sage-support

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 9:33:25 AM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 12:32:06 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 06:26, Samuel Dupree <sdu...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

I'm attempting to update SageMath-8.7.app on an iMacPro running Mac OS X ver. 10.14.6 tp SageMath-8.8.app. The problem for the moment occurs when I decompress sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg, the operation crashes my iMacPro with the message captured in the attached file.

there is no OSX-10.14 compatible app version available, for there are changes needed to be done, and someone with knowledge of OSX (err, Mac OS) frontend programming needs to step forward and do the needed work...

What about http://mirrors.xmission.com/sage/osx/intel/sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg? This works for me with OS X 10.14.6, although I haven't yet tried on an iMac Pro.

It works on my iMac Pro, too. Try downloading the file again, maybe from a different mirror.

Richard W Bump

darwin doppelganger

Jul 27, 2019, 5:55:53 PM7/27/19
to sage-support
This may be related to a virus-scanner problem that was reported earlier.  Murray Eisenberg responded, saying that he:

"solved" this issue finally by disabling my Intego VirusScan and then opened the .dmg.app again.

darwin doppelganger

Jul 27, 2019, 6:35:27 PM7/27/19
to sage-support
I just wanted to add that I downloaded http://mirrors.xmission.com/sage/osx/intel/sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg as suggested above by John Palmieri and opened it with no problems beyond the venerable Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave problem, Sage takes very long to start—why?. The workarounds mentioned in in the link are pretty painless. I am running 10.14.5 on a MacBook Pro, but I think 10.14.6 ought to be the same sort of deal.

Samuel Dupree

Jul 28, 2019, 12:10:40 AM7/28/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, darwin doppelganger, richard...@gmail.com, jhpalm...@gmail.com, dim...@gmail.com

To everyone who responded, I'd like to say thank you.

I attempted to decompress all the sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg at all the USA Mirror site. All of them crashed. However, in decompressing the sage-8.7-OSX_10.13.6-x86_64.app.dmg, it worked fine. Furthermore, my antivirus software Intego Virus Scan was running in all instances.

It remains for me to try decompressing sage-8.8-OSX_10.14.5-x86_64.app.dmg with my virus scanning software turned off.

Will keep folks posted.

Sam Dupree.