Successful plots (without notebook) on Windows?

kcrisman

Mar 4, 2024, 5:23:17 PMMar 4
to sage-support
Has anyone successfully used the instructions at https://wiki.sagemath.org/SageWindows lately for plots?  I'm reviewing https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37184 and it would be nice to have that information actually in the installation guide, but for some reason it didn't work for me.  (Maybe because it's my son's computer ... some sort of Murphy's Law?)

Thanks for any info.

Emmanuel Charpentier

Apr 1, 2024, 3:31:44 PMApr 1
to sage-support

I just had to install Sage on a Windows machine (long story…) which has to be connected to a corporate VPN, whose an annoying side effect is to deprive Linux apps of network connectivity (don’t get me started…). Therefore, the Linux browser couldn’t use Mathjax.

Using your utilities works perfectly. I checked that one can display both 2D and 3D graphics from both commandine and Jupyter/Jupyterlab notebooks.

BTW, does your son run Ubuntu 22.04 ? If so, it might explain why display is problematic : this distribution uses a “snap” version of firefox, which asininely insists to run in its own sandbox, with no access to local files : (‘Grrrr…).

HTH,

Marc Culler

Apr 2, 2024, 8:14:47 AMApr 2
to sage-support
Actually the firefox snap can access files on the local disk, but only if they are in the user's home directory.  It cannot access files in /tmp.  Does the  plot viewer use the ubuntu system's /tmp?

- Marc

Marc Culler

Apr 2, 2024, 8:20:24 AMApr 2
to sage-support
Evidently it is possible to install Firefox on Ubuntu 22.04 from the Mozilla PPA instead of using the snap.

- Marc

kcrisman

Apr 2, 2024, 3:13:50 PMApr 2
to sage-support
On Monday, April 1, 2024 at 3:31:44 PM UTC-4 Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

I just had to install Sage on a Windows machine (long story…) which has to be connected to a corporate VPN, whose an annoying side effect is to deprive Linux apps of network connectivity (don’t get me started…). Therefore, the Linux browser couldn’t use Mathjax.

I guess I didn't know how to use the Linux browser in the first place on Windows.

Using your utilities works perfectly.

Haha, they are not "mine" :-) but I'm glad they work for someone, we would definitely want to get some information in the user manual and not just the wiki about that.  I'm not sure which version of Ubuntu it uses - whatever the current default for WSL is.   I can safely guarantee my son has zero interest in Ubuntu, or Linux for that matter.

Henri Girard

Apr 2, 2024, 6:29:33 PMApr 2
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

windows-sage-installer can't be installed ? it's version sagemath-9.2 but works fine, i use too wls and build sage-dev-10-4 beta on it

Emmanuel Charpentier

Apr 3, 2024, 6:19:50 AMApr 3
to sage-support
Le mardi 2 avril 2024 à 21:13:50 UTC+2, kcrisman a écrit :
On Monday, April 1, 2024 at 3:31:44 PM UTC-4 Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

I just had to install Sage on a Windows machine (long story…) which has to be connected to a corporate VPN, whose an annoying side effect is to deprive Linux apps of network connectivity (don’t get me started…). Therefore, the Linux browser couldn’t use Mathjax.

I guess I didn't know how to use the Linux browser in the first place on Windows.

Just run `wsl firefox`. But in my specific case (amv VPN...), using the Windows berwser (alse Firefox) is better.

Using your utilities works perfectly.

Haha, they are not "mine" :-)

Huh ? You did the Wiki post, no ?

but I'm glad they work for someone, we would definitely want to get some information in the user manual and not just the wiki about that.

Suggestion : an interim solution is to leave a note in the (installation|user) manual with a link to the wiki...

I'm not sure which version of Ubuntu it uses - whatever the current default for WSL is.

Currently, it's 22.04LTS, probably to be replaced bu 24.04LTS when the latter is released.

I can safely guarantee my son has zero interest in Ubuntu, or Linux for that matter.

Condolences... ;_-)

HTH,

Henri Girard

Apr 3, 2024, 6:17:31 PMApr 3
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I upgraded to noble 24.04 few months ago it's fine. I just read they had a problem with bug and it will be out later , but on wsl2 it works and I will update in time.
What I find good is sage 10.4.beta 1 build fine too !
So on windows I mostly works with sage-9.2 (windows-installer-sagemath-9.2 ) usefull because I can use code as an interface too...
best