info

Henri Girard

Oct 24, 2020, 4:13:29 AM10/24/20
to sage-release
Hi,

Yesterday no one pip version worked ? I am on ubuntu 20.10 which should
get out in few days, I did a do-release-upgrade -d , this morning I was
trying pip :

My sudo -H pip3 install sage got for answer : Requirement already
satisfied: sage in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (9.2b12)

I installed sagemath as a deb package. I wonder if sage can be installed
with pip3 (I don't want to try because I don't want to lose my config)
does somebody knoew about this ?

Last week I compiled last rc release I didn't have any problem. I
deleted it because it's a big release.

Best

Henri

Samuel Lelievre

Oct 25, 2020, 5:41:38 AM10/25/20
to sage-release
Le samedi 24 octobre 2020 10:13:29 UTC+2, HG a écrit:

> Yesterday no one pip version worked ? I am on ubuntu 20.10
> which should get out in few days, I did a do-release-upgrade -d
>
> This morning I was trying pip :
>
>     $ sudo -H pip3 install sage
>     Requirement already satisfied: sage in
>     /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (9.2b12)
>
> I installed sagemath as a deb package. I wonder if sage
> can be installed with pip3 (I don't want to try because
> I don't want to lose my config).
> Does somebody know about this ?
>
> Last week I compiled last rc release I didn't have any
> problem. I deleted it because it's a big release.
>
> Best
> Henri

Making Sage pip-installable is work in progress, tracked at:

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21507

E. Madison Bray

Oct 26, 2020, 7:43:27 AM10/26/20
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 10:13 Henri Girard <henri....@gmail.com> wrote:
My sudo -H pip3 install sage got for answer : Requirement already
satisfied: sage in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (9.2b12)

For what it's worth, you should almost never `sudo pip install` anything on Ubuntu, because it can break system packages.

Instead you have several options for installing local copies of packages:

* use `pip install --user`
* create a venv with `python -m venv`, activate the venv, and use `pip install` in the venv
* create a conda environment and use `pip install` in the activated environment