Re: sympow 2.0.23.2

Timo Kaufmann

Jul 23, 2018, 11:24:01 AM7/23/18
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com, debian-scie...@alioth-lists.debian.net
I forgot to add a subject line to the original email.

It looks like the sympow upgrade is finally getting somewhere[1]. Jérôme Benoit made debians de-facto fork official[2]. This will need some patches. Since debian has already updated for a while, I'm assuming you (the debian maintainers) already have a patch for that? Could you point me to that or add the patches directly to the trac ticket[1]?

Ximin Luo

Jul 24, 2018, 6:24:23 PM7/24/18
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com, Timo Kaufmann, debian-scie...@alioth-lists.debian.net
Hi Timo the Debian sage patches are here:

https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/sagemath/tree/master/debian/patches

Right now there are 2 relating to sympow.

Timo Kaufmann:
> I forgot to add a subject line to the original email.

>> It looks like the sympow upgrade is finally getting somewhere[1]. Jérôme
>> Benoit made debians de-facto fork official[2]. This will need some patches.
>> Since debian has already updated for a while, I'm assuming you (the debian
>> maintainers) already have a patch for that? Could you point me to that or
>> add the patches directly to the trac ticket[1]?
>>
>> [1] https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/3360
>> [2] https://gitlab.com/rezozer/forks/sympow
>>
>> --
>> msgid/sage-packaging/CABVZtg0RPnT2bzCVFwsBtA%3DxQN1NuUx8FUsraWYcT3Epa5f%
>> 2BJQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-packaging/CABVZtg0RPnT2bzCVFwsBtA%3DxQN1NuUx8FUsraWYcT3Epa5f%2BJQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

Timo Kaufmann

Jul 25, 2018, 4:03:02 PM7/25/18
to sage-packaging
Ximin Luo:

> Hi Timo the Debian sage patches are here:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/sagemath/tree/master/debian/patches
>
> Right now there are 2 relating to sympow.

I'm aware of those. However neither seems to be relevant to the sympow upgrade:

- `u1-workaround-sympow-malloc-pertub.patch` apparently fixes some issue that
occurs only if the MALLOC_PERTUB environment variable is set

- `u2-fix-sympow-cachedir.patch` apparently only fixes an issue that occurs
because the debian test runner does not have write access to HOME

I'll test applying them anyways, just in case. But I don't see how they would
fix the issue. According to the new sympow maintainer (who also is the debian
maintainer) Jerome Benoit (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/3360#comment:22):

> I am not surprised that it breaks the sage testsuite because the patched version runs more like any regular program. In fact it must break the sage related code itself: see the section [SYMPOW Data set](https://gitlab.com/rezozer/forks/sympow#sympow-data-setup) up for details. Otherwise, since it works on Debian, I guess it was fixed there. But I am not the one who did the fix. So you want to check the Debian patches. Feel free to send email to the Debian Sage Team: the person who did it may guide you.

I hope this email will show up in the debian mailing list. I didn't get your
reply in my inbox and have to answer directly in googles mailing list interface
on sage-packaging.

Ximin Luo

Jul 25, 2018, 11:56:21 PM7/25/18
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com, Timo Kaufmann
Timo Kaufmann:
> Ximin Luo:
>> Hi Timo the Debian sage patches are here:
>>
>> https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/sagemath/tree/master/debian/patches
>>
>> Right now there are 2 relating to sympow.
>
> I'm aware of those. However neither seems to be relevant to the sympow upgrade:
>
> - `u1-workaround-sympow-malloc-pertub.patch` apparently fixes some issue that
> occurs only if the MALLOC_PERTUB environment variable is set
>
> - `u2-fix-sympow-cachedir.patch` apparently only fixes an issue that occurs
> because the debian test runner does not have write access to HOME
>
> I'll test applying them anyways, just in case. But I don't see how they would
> fix the issue. According to the new sympow maintainer (who also is the debian
> maintainer) Jerome Benoit (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/3360#comment:22):
>
>> I am not surprised that it breaks the sage testsuite because the patched version runs more like any regular program. In fact it must break the sage related code itself: see the section [SYMPOW Data set](https://gitlab.com/rezozer/forks/sympow#sympow-data-setup) up for details. Otherwise, since it works on Debian, I guess it was fixed there. But I am not the one who did the fix. So you want to check the Debian patches. Feel free to send email to the Debian Sage Team: the person who did it may guide you.

Oh sorry, it's been a while since I looked at the situation.

The first patch is indeed not very important and really only for me personally because I set MALLOC_PERTURB in my .xinit.

The second patch, though it is primarily about HOME, it does depend on a Debian-specific addition to sympow that Jerome implemented, namely SYMPOW_CACHEDIR and the special semantics of a trailing triple-slash "///". I guess it has been merged upstream now, but haven't looked at the code to confirm this yet.

Not sure if this is relevant to your problem though.

> I hope this email will show up in the debian mailing list. I didn't get your
> reply in my inbox and have to answer directly in googles mailing list interface
> on sage-packaging.

Not sure why you didn't get my reply as I posted to *both* lists and am a member of both lists.

Antonio Rojas

Jul 26, 2018, 4:13:33 AM7/26/18
to sage-packaging
El miércoles, 25 de julio de 2018, 22:03:02 (UTC+2), Timo Kaufmann escribió:
> I'll test applying them anyways, just in case. But I don't see how they would
> fix the issue. According to the new sympow maintainer (who also is the debian
> maintainer) Jerome Benoit (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/3360#comment:22):

Can you elaborate on what issues you're refering to? I have updated the package in Arch and the only issue I found was sympow complainig about permissions when trying to write to /var/cache, which can be fixed by decreasing the verbosity.

Julian Rüth

Jul 26, 2018, 6:49:27 AM7/26/18
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
I believe that sympow in Debian can handle MALLOC_PERTURB_ now.

* Timo Kaufmann <eisf...@gmail.com> [2018-07-25 13:03:02 -0700]:

> Ximin Luo:
> > Hi Timo the Debian sage patches are here:
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/sagemath/tree/master/debian/patches
> >
> > Right now there are 2 relating to sympow.
>
> I'm aware of those. However neither seems to be relevant to the sympow upgrade:
>
> - `u1-workaround-sympow-malloc-pertub.patch` apparently fixes some issue that
> occurs only if the MALLOC_PERTUB environment variable is set
This is about https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=863919
which has been taken care of in
https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/sympow/merge_requests/1/diffs. So
this patch should not be necessary anymore with the latest sympow.

julian

Timo Kaufmann

Jul 27, 2018, 10:47:04 AM7/27/18
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com, debian-scie...@alioth-lists.debian.net
Turns out I just messed up packaging. I didn't test sympow independently, otherwise I would've noticed that that doesn't work already. More details here: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/3360#comment:33

Sorry for bothering you all with this!