Links to Sage-related books

Dana Ernst

Dec 23, 2019, 1:04:37 PM12/23/19
to sage-edu
I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:

Someone recently pointed out to me that many of the links to the Sage-related book are broken.  Does anyone have current info on the following books?

1. Differential Calculus with Sage by David Joyner (United States Naval Academy) and Granville.

2. Integral Calculus with Sage by Dale Hoffman (Bellevue Community College), William Stein (University of Washington), and David Joyner (United States Naval Academy).

3. Introductory Differential Equations using Sage by David Joyner (United State Naval Academy).

Thanks!

Dana

P.S. If you have suggestions of books to add to the list above, feel free to make suggestions.

David Joyner

Dec 23, 2019, 5:13:27 PM12/23/19
to SAGE edu
On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Dana Ernst <ernst...@gmail.com> wrote:
I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:

Someone recently pointed out to me that many of the links to the Sage-related book are broken.  Does anyone have current info on the following books?

1. Differential Calculus with Sage by David Joyner (United States Naval Academy) and Granville.

2. Integral Calculus with Sage by Dale Hoffman (Bellevue Community College), William Stein (University of Washington), and David Joyner (United States Naval Academy).

This was an unfinished project, so not worth keeping on the internet. I meant to come back to it but ran out
of energy. Possibly, William Stein's notes might be on his website, but I haven't checked.

3. Introductory Differential Equations using Sage by David Joyner (United State Naval Academy).

The final version of this was published by JHUP. Earlier lecture notes were posted on my USNA website, but
after I retired, the website was deleted (following standard policy). Sorry about that.

I also have some notes on (algebraic) graph theory and sage:

Thanks!

Dana

P.S. If you have suggestions of books to add to the list above, feel free to make suggestions.

slelievre

Dec 23, 2019, 9:00:08 PM12/23/19
to sage-edu
Mon 2019-12-23 22:13:27 UTC, David Joyner:

> On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Dana Ernst:
>>
>> I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:
>>

>> Someone recently pointed out to me that many of the links to the
>> Sage-related book are broken.  Does anyone have current info on
>> the following books?
>>
>> 1. Differential Calculus with Sage by David Joyner
>> (United States Naval Academy) and Granville.
>

>> 2. Integral Calculus with Sage by Dale Hoffman (Bellevue
>> Community College), William Stein (University of Washington),
>> and David Joyner (United States Naval Academy).
>
> This was an unfinished project, so not worth keeping on the internet.
> I meant to come back to it but ran out of energy. Possibly, William
> Stein's notes might be on his website, but I haven't checked.

Nothing on

- William Stein's home page
- William Stein's books page
- Dale Hoffman's home page

but archive.org has a copy:

(not sure why they say "Publication date: 39907").

>> 3. Introductory Differential Equations using Sage
>> by David Joyner (United State Naval Academy).
>
> The final version of this was published by JHUP.

The John Hopkins University Press currently has
the following two books of yours on its catalogue:

- David Joyner
  Adventures in Group Theory
  Rubik's Cube, Merlin's Machine, and Other Mathematical Toys
  second edition
  2008

- David Joyner and Marshall Hampton
  Introduction to Differential Equations Using Sage
  2012

so it would seem the book that used to be called
"Introductory Differential Equations using Sage"
ended up being published at JHUP under the title
"Introduction to Differential Equations Using Sage"
with Marshall Hampton aas a coauthor, right?

> Earlier lecture notes were posted on my USNA website,
> but after I retired, the website was deleted
> (following standard policy). Sorry about that.

> I also have some notes on (algebraic) graph theory and sage:

Nice.

Google Books also has a comprehensive bibliography
with at least excerpts from most books:

slelievre

Dec 23, 2019, 9:56:41 PM12/23/19
to sage-edu

Mon 2019-12-24 02:00:08 UTC, slelievre:

> Mon 2019-12-23 22:13:27 UTC, David Joyner:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Dana Ernst:
> >>
> >> I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> 2. Integral Calculus with Sage by Dale Hoffman (Bellevue
> >> Community College), William Stein (University of Washington),
> >> and David Joyner (United States Naval Academy).
> >
> > This was an unfinished project, so not worth keeping on the internet.
> > I meant to come back to it but ran out of energy. Possibly, William
> > Stein's notes might be on his website, but I haven't checked.
>
> [...] archive.org has a copy:

>   https://archive.org/details/flooved3439
>
> (not sure why they say "Publication date: 39907").

Not sure why the link above redirects to Chapter 0
on page 6... Here is a link that gets to the cover:

https://archive.org/details/flooved3439/page/n0

> >> 3. Introductory Differential Equations using Sage
> >> by David Joyner (United State Naval Academy).
> >
> > The final version of this was published by JHUP.
>
> [...]

> > Earlier lecture notes were posted on my USNA website,
> > but after I retired, the website was deleted
> > (following standard policy). Sorry about that.

Google Scholar has the pre-publication notes indexed:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q="Introductory+Differential+Equations+using+Sage"

and links to the pdf at:

http://www.sandal.tw/upload/Introduction to Differential Equations Using Sage [David Joyner, Marshall Hampton.pdf

slelievre

Dec 23, 2019, 10:06:02 PM12/23/19
to sage-edu
and links to the pdf at:

http://www.sandal.tw/upload/Introduction to Differential Equations Using Sage [David Joyner, Marshall Hampton.pdf

Oops -- forgot to escape the spaces
("copy and paste in url bar" still works
but let's make things clickable):

slelievre

Dec 23, 2019, 10:15:02 PM12/23/19
to sage-edu
Oops -- I wrote "John Hopkins" instead of "Johns Hopkins",
despite the warning on the Wikipedia page

which reads:

> Not to be confused with several people named John Hopkins.

slelievre

Dec 24, 2019, 2:12:15 AM12/24/19
to sage-edu
Mon 2019-12-23 18:04:37 UTC, Dana Ernst:

> I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:

Thanks for maintaining this list.

> P.S. If you have suggestions of books to add to the list above,
> feel free to make suggestions.

At the top of your page listing free textbooks, you have links
to some other such collections. Other possible additions:

- LibreTexts

- PreTeXt gallery and catalog

slelievre

Dec 24, 2019, 2:20:59 AM12/24/19
to sage-edu
See also the recent article

- Matt Boelkin, Jennifer F. Nordstrom
  PreTeXt -- the future of textbooks
  http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/?m=7656&l=1#{"issue_id":638453,"page":18,"publication_id":"7656"}

slelievre

Dec 24, 2019, 2:25:22 AM12/24/19
to sage-edu
Tue 2019-12-24 07:20:59 UTC, slelievre:

> See also the recent article
>
> - Matt Boelkin, Jennifer F. Nordstrom
> PreTeXt -- the future of textbooks
> http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/?m=7656&l=1#{"issue_id":638453,"page":18,"publication_id":"7656"}

Shorter link: http://bit.ly/2Yy53vH

kcrisman

Dec 24, 2019, 10:18:59 AM12/24/19
to sage-edu
Yes!

David Joyner

Dec 24, 2019, 3:42:41 PM12/24/19
to SAGE edu
On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Dana Ernst <ernst...@gmail.com> wrote:
I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:

Someone recently pointed out to me that many of the links to the Sage-related book are broken.  Does anyone have current info on the following books?

1. Differential Calculus with Sage by David Joyner (United States Naval Academy) and Granville.

2. Integral Calculus with Sage by Dale Hoffman (Bellevue Community College), William Stein (University of Washington), and David Joyner (United States Naval Academy).

3. Introductory Differential Equations using Sage by David Joyner (United State Naval Academy).

I just posted this:

Many thanks to Samuel Lelièvre!

Thanks!

Dana

P.S. If you have suggestions of books to add to the list above, feel free to make suggestions.

carey g. butler

Dec 24, 2019, 6:46:46 PM12/24/19
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for doing this.

Dana Ernst

Dec 25, 2019, 1:39:08 PM12/25/19
to sage-edu
Thanks all!

Dana

LASSNER

Dec 27, 2019, 8:47:51 AM12/27/19
to sage...@googlegroups.com

 Don't forget other  sources in French and German

  For exemple:

1° "Calcul mathématique  avec SAGE"   under supervision of Paul   Zimmermann   and many contributors NB:  for translations in English and/or  German cf  Sage2.png

Note the high level  concerning the algebraic part of the book say at past master level  and 64 exercices with (some) corrections and explanations.

 You can a second hand version for ~~$10  on Amazon  and  a free version  on the net (a pdf version   of ~ 460 pages)  cf  SAGE3.png

Truly your's

François Lassner

f.la...@wanadoo.fr

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019, 21:42 David Joyner, <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Dana Ernst <ernst...@gmail.com> wrote:

I maintain a partial list of free and/or open-source textbooks here:

Someone recently pointed out to me that many of the links to the Sage-related book are broken.  Does anyone have current info on the following books?

1. Differential Calculus with Sage by David Joyner (United States Naval Academy) and Granville.

2. Integral Calculus with Sage by Dale Hoffman (Bellevue Community College), William Stein (University of Washington), and David Joyner (United States Naval Academy).

3. Introductory Differential Equations using Sage by David Joyner (United State Naval Academy).

I just posted this:

Many thanks to Samuel Lelièvre!

Thanks!

Dana

P.S. If you have suggestions of books to add to the list above, feel free to make suggestions.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-edu/6099eba7-aade-496a-a2dd-dbce33013ffd%40googlegroups.com.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-edu/CAEQuuAVqM_7mzyMuutPrmDyLszztgE38c%2BQnvYN3PLXBboudyQ%40mail.gmail.com.

SAGE.png
SAGE2.png
SAGE3.png

Jim Hefferon

Jan 11, 2020, 6:39:59 AM1/11/20
to sage-edu
I have a suggestion for Sage-related.  On your page you list my Linear Algebra.  You could also note that there is a lab manual using Sage. The direct to document link is http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/lab.pdf, although the book and the lab manual as well as other stuff are linked to from the page  http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/.

Jim

carey g. butler

Jan 12, 2020, 12:17:57 PM1/12/20
to sage...@googlegroups.com