Failure to build sage

Sarah Arpin

Aug 9, 2019, 10:18:21 AM8/9/19
to sage-devel
Hello,

I'm at a Sage Days trying to build sage from source on a Ubuntu VirtualBox for the first time. I've mended a few errors, and this one occurred after about 5 hours of building.

mostrecenterror.jpg

I'm not sure how to proceed and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

E. Madison Bray

Aug 9, 2019, 11:45:24 AM8/9/19
to sage-devel
Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately from that screenshot alone it's impossible to say much without additional context (e.g. the relevant log files, though in this case I couldn't even tell you what the relevant log file was).

Did it look like it failed during the documentation build?  E.g., did it output something like "Building reference manual, first pass."?

The documentation build is quite memory-intensive, and if you didn't give enough memory to your VM it could have failed for that reason alone.  Check if Sage itself starts by running

$ ./sage

If so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just use `make build` (which doesn't build the docs) instead of `make`.

Is there a specific reason you want to build Sage in a VM?

Best,
Madison