Sage-relevant environment variables

John Cremona

Nov 14, 2023, 9:33:47 AM11/14/23
to SAGE devel
I have machines I have been building Sage on (and using for development) for 10 years or more, and they have several environment variables of the form SAGE* which I set in my .bashrc script.  I suspect that all or most of these are redundant; some may even be harmful.  Is there a list somewhere of which envoronment variables *are* currently used?

Here's an example:

jec@lehner:~/sage (branch: develop)$ env | grep SAGE
SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI=yes
SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=yes
SAGE_ATLAS_LIB=/usr/lib

Another also has
jec@atkin:/usr/local/include$ env | grep SAGE
SAGE_UPGRADING=yes
SAGE_INSTALL_CCACHE=yes

John

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 14, 2023, 9:59:46 AM11/14/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Of these listed, only SAGE_INSTALL_CCACHE and SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI
are mentioned in Sage's source, as you can see by running

git grep SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI
git grep foobar

etc

John Cremona

Nov 14, 2023, 10:34:56 AM11/14/23
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Thajd Dima, very helpful as always!  I can't believe that after years of using git I did not know about git grep (but I'm sure that you can believe it).

Incidentally, setting SAGE_ATLAS_LIB was one of the early ways to help developers by saying to use a system build of atlas which otherwise took a very long time.  We have come a long way since then.

John