Apple on ARM

kcrisman

Jun 23, 2020, 8:03:24 AM6/23/20
to sage-devel
See e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/21/21298607/first-arm-mac-macbook-pro-imac-ming-chi-kuo-wwdc-2020

When Apple moved to Intel, there were definitely some impacts for Sage - obviously needing to provide two sets of binaries - but I wonder if maybe the Sage ecosystem is a lot more stable w.r.t. processors this time around (e.g. assembly code already available for major upstream packages).  Maybe it's so trivial that I am foolish for mentioning it, but I thought I would ask if anyone has thoughts on this, as I couldn't find anything on this forum about it yet.

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 23, 2020, 8:11:22 AM6/23/20
to sage-devel
Sage used to work on ARM chips, we stopped testing on it due to lack of hardware in 2015 or so.

We can pick it up again.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020, 13:03 kcrisman, <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
See e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/21/21298607/first-arm-mac-macbook-pro-imac-ming-chi-kuo-wwdc-2020

When Apple moved to Intel, there were definitely some impacts for Sage - obviously needing to provide two sets of binaries - but I wonder if maybe the Sage ecosystem is a lot more stable w.r.t. processors this time around (e.g. assembly code already available for major upstream packages).  Maybe it's so trivial that I am foolish for mentioning it, but I thought I would ask if anyone has thoughts on this, as I couldn't find anything on this forum about it yet.

Thierry Dumont

Jun 24, 2020, 2:21:48 AM6/24/20
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Some weeks ago, there was a post on this list (or an other sage list)
where somebody said he succeeded compiling sage on a Raspberry 4... so...
t.

Le 23/06/2020 à 14:11, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :
> Sage used to work on ARM chips, we stopped testing on it due to lack of
> hardware in 2015 or so.
>
> We can pick it up again.
>

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020, 13:03 kcrisman, <kcri...@gmail.com
> <mailto:kcri...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> See e.g.
> https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/21/21298607/first-arm-mac-macbook-pro-imac-ming-chi-kuo-wwdc-2020
>
> When Apple moved to Intel, there were definitely some impacts for
> Sage - obviously needing to provide two sets of binaries - but I
> wonder if maybe the Sage ecosystem is a lot more stable w.r.t.
> processors this time around (e.g. assembly code already available
> for major upstream packages).  Maybe it's so trivial that I am
> foolish for mentioning it, but I thought I would ask if anyone has
> thoughts on this, as I couldn't find anything on this forum about it
> yet.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAAWYfq0B_TZssoMRqwvrp7bgjz99WRm4OzQ%3DguZcy5CP1atxtg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAAWYfq0B_TZssoMRqwvrp7bgjz99WRm4OzQ%3DguZcy5CP1atxtg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
tdumont.vcf

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 24, 2020, 4:45:47 AM6/24/20
to sage-devel
On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 7:21 AM Thierry Dumont
<tdu...@math.univ-lyon1.fr> wrote:

> Some weeks ago, there was a post on this list (or an other sage list)
> where somebody said he succeeded compiling sage on a Raspberry 4... so...
> t.

these are underpowered for the job, but one can get e.g.
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/a1/
which run Linux on ARM 64 chips.
(I don't know how to get "real" computer with such specs:))
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/991621e6-7de4-03ff-387e-3e6a4fdd9595%40math.univ-lyon1.fr.

Jaap Spies

Jun 24, 2020, 5:34:40 AM6/24/20
to sage-devel
This was me on sagerelease. Starting with sage-9.1.beta1 fplll failed. According to Bill Hart they never test on ARM.

Jaap

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 8:21:48 AM UTC+2, tdumont wrote:
Some weeks ago, there was a post on this list (or an other sage list)
where somebody said he succeeded compiling sage on a Raspberry 4... so...
t.

Le 23/06/2020 à 14:11, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :
> Sage used to work on ARM chips, we stopped testing on it due to lack of
> hardware in 2015 or so.
>
> We can pick it up again.
>

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020, 13:03 kcrisman, <kcri...@gmail.com
> <mailto:kcri...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     See e.g.
>     https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/21/21298607/first-arm-mac-macbook-pro-imac-ming-chi-kuo-wwdc-2020
>
>     When Apple moved to Intel, there were definitely some impacts for
>     Sage - obviously needing to provide two sets of binaries - but I
>     wonder if maybe the Sage ecosystem is a lot more stable w.r.t.
>     processors this time around (e.g. assembly code already available
>     for major upstream packages).  Maybe it's so trivial that I am
>     foolish for mentioning it, but I thought I would ask if anyone has
>     thoughts on this, as I couldn't find anything on this forum about it
>     yet.
>
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/7aa3429b-d2d6-4453-b708-793da943275ao%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/7aa3429b-d2d6-4453-b708-793da943275ao%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jaap Spies

Jun 24, 2020, 5:56:16 AM6/24/20
to sage-devel

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 24, 2020, 5:58:14 AM6/24/20
to sage-devel

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 10:34 Jaap Spies, <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:
This was me on sagerelease. Starting with sage-9.1.beta1 fplll failed. According to Bill Hart they never test on ARM.
fplll bug tracker is here:
In the past they dealt with ARM bugs.
Please file yours there.

(it is Martin Albrecht's project mostly, I don't think Bill Hart is involved)

Jaap
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/7aa3429b-d2d6-4453-b708-793da943275ao%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/7aa3429b-d2d6-4453-b708-793da943275ao%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jaap Spies

Jun 24, 2020, 6:09:50 AM6/24/20
to sage-devel
Yes. Sorry Martin. I mixed things up.

Martin knows of the problem. He reacted in the thread.

Jaap

kcrisman

Jun 24, 2020, 7:43:48 AM6/24/20
to sage-devel
Great, glad that we didn't lose the ARM trail.  Not that I'm necessarily looking forward to upgrading ... but I bet a lot of our "customers" will!  Thanks for all your replies.

Samuel Lelievre

Jun 24, 2020, 12:00:15 PM6/24/20
to sage-devel
2020-06-24 10:09:50 UTC, Jaap Spies:

> Martin knows of the problem. He reacted in the thread.

I opened this issue:

  https://github.com/fplll/fplll/issues/432

It might be possible to use GitHub actions to test on ARM.

Samuel Lelievre

Jun 24, 2020, 12:06:42 PM6/24/20
to sage-devel
# Some SageMath / ARM related links

## Conda on ARM

- Miniforge provides Conda on ARM

## Discussions

- sage-release, 2020-01-26, Jaap Spies, Dima Pasechnik, Martin Albrecht
  On Raspberry Pi, Sage 9.1.beta0 builds but Sage 9.1.beta1 does not,
  likely an ARM-specific problem with new multicore code in fplll 5.3.x

  --> would be nice to set up continuous integration for fplll
  that would build and test on ARM, maybe using GitHub Actions

- sage-devel, 2019-12-30, Jaap Spies
  Buiding sage on a Raspberry Pi 4B

- sage-release, 2019-12-21, Jaap Spies
  Got Sage 9.0.beta9 running on Raspberry Pi 4B 2GB Raspbian

- sage-devel, 2017-07, Pavel Sayekat
  Is it possible to make an arm port of sage?

## Ask Sage

- Binaries for sage-8.4 armv7l

- Issues building sagelib-8.4 for Raspbian Stretch on armv7l

## Sage Trac tickets

- make sage work on arm64/aarch64

- Upgrade to Tachyon 0.99b6

- GCC does not build on ARM

## Searches

- search various lists for arm

- other terms to search for: raspberry, raspbian, arm64, aarch64

## Other discussions

- jupyter-education, 2020-06, Wes Turner
  ARM is a real thing that's worth our time

Samuel Lelievre

Jun 24, 2020, 12:35:40 PM6/24/20
to sage-devel
And I missed this Sage Trac ticket:

- Build failure of fplll-5.3.2 on Raspbian Buster (ARM)

where the fplll issue is discussed.

Isuru Fernando

Oct 29, 2020, 9:53:56 PM10/29/20
to sage-devel
conda-forge provides sage=9.2 binaries on linux-aarch64. Installers are at https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge#download
To install sage, follow the directions at https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/conda.html

We have started initial support for osx-arm64 platform as well, but it's only a small set of packages for now.

Isuru