Sage no longer working in Binder

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 30, 2021, 4:50:23 AM9/30/21
to sage-devel
Hi,

Apart from Sage's Docker image being still stuck to 9.3.beta8 (issue discussed at https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/fUpSEHwR5VQ/m/YVmsBSOyCAAJ), a new issue has appeared: one cannot run Sage at all in Binder, even with the 9.3.beta8 image. Every attempt fails at the "Launching server..." step, with the message

Launch attempt 1 failed, retrying...

This has been reported at ask.sagemath:

Eric.

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 30, 2021, 5:02:56 AM9/30/21
to sage-devel
isn't the issue on the Binder side?

Eric.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 30, 2021, 5:03:07 AM9/30/21
to sage-devel
The full error message is

Launching server...

Launch attempt 1 failed, retrying...
Launch attempt 2 failed, retrying...
Launch attempt 3 failed, retrying...
Internal Server Error

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 30, 2021, 5:05:48 AM9/30/21
to sage-devel
The above error message has been obtained by clicking on the Binder button in the notebook https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/sagemanifolds/SageManifolds/blob/master/Notebooks/SM_basic_Schwarzschild.ipynb

William Stein

Sep 30, 2021, 11:53:46 AM9/30/21
to sage-devel
My understanding is that the Sage-9.3 and Sage-9.4 binaries are broken
on a large number of machines due to an issue with how openblas was
built. You probably have to use a sage-9.2 docker container, or wait
for sage 9.5 to come out.

<rant>Somebody probably should have deleted all sage-9.3 and 9.4
binaries from all download repos, announced widely about this problem,
and made an emergency 9.4.x release with the openblas fix in it and
nothing else. But since I'm not willing to do that work, who am I to
complain?</rant>

-- William

William (http://wstein.org)

Eric Gourgoulhon

Oct 1, 2021, 3:44:48 AM10/1/21
to sage-devel
Le jeudi 30 septembre 2021 à 17:53:46 UTC+2, wst...@gmail.com a écrit :
My understanding is that the Sage-9.3 and Sage-9.4 binaries are broken
on a large number of machines due to an issue with how openblas was
built. You probably have to use a sage-9.2 docker container, or wait
for sage 9.5 to come out.

Thanks for your feedback. However, I am not sure this is the source of the issue here, because the Sage 9.3.beta8 Docker image used to work on Binder, until quite recently. So maybe there has been some change on the Binder side. I should try with Sage 9.2 though...

Eric.

Eric Gourgoulhon

Oct 1, 2021, 4:18:39 AM10/1/21
to sage-devel
Well, there is no need to test further against the Sage version since the user who reported the issue on ask.sagemath is using Sage 9.1:

Eric.

Nathan Dunfield

Oct 1, 2021, 10:15:31 AM10/1/21
to sage-devel
On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 10:53:46 AM UTC-5 wrote:
My understanding is that the Sage-9.3 and Sage-9.4 binaries are broken
on a large number of machines due to an issue with how openblas was
built. You probably have to use a sage-9.2 docker container, or wait
for sage 9.5 to come out.

This is moot since Eric has reported OP is using 9.1, but at least on macOS both Jupyter and Sage start fine even with the openblas problem --- you need to import numpy (or similar) to get a crash.

Nathan

enriqu...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2021, 4:08:01 AM10/11/21
to sage-devel
I have tried with sagemathinc/cocalc:latest and it works. There is a message of permission denied when running the notebooks, but it is possible to run them. Any other try with sagemath or sagemath-dev (installing jupyterlab) failed. This was my dockerfile:

FROM sagemathinc/cocalc:latest

COPY --chown=sage:sage . ${HOME}