Proposal: Very short release cycle for Sage 9.4

Matthias Koeppe

May 10, 2021, 3:09:55 PM5/10/21
to sage-devel
... with a focus on adding support for gcc/gfortran 11 (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31786)
and in particular fixing the build on macOS Big Sur with homebrew that was broken by homebrew's upgrade to gcc 11 (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29703).

Travis Scrimshaw

May 10, 2021, 7:00:51 PM5/10/21
to sage-devel
+1 on this. I know many people who use the latest OSX.

Best,
Travis

François Bissey

May 10, 2021, 7:36:20 PM5/10/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I guess I could whip up a branch quickly since we know the things that have to be done overall.
I would prefer if we had a new pynac release rather than continue pilling patches.

François

Dima Pasechnik

May 10, 2021, 7:44:39 PM5/10/21
to sage-devel
We should also update GAP and start using gappy.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/40413B9A-AAD6-4CB9-8F74-E252CDAA3E1A%40gmail.com.

David Roe

May 11, 2021, 12:35:48 PM5/11/21
to sage-devel
There are also a couple of standard package upgrades to FLINT and arb.
David

Vincent Delecroix

May 11, 2021, 1:05:12 PM5/11/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
and PARI/GP (#30801 needs review BTW)

But I don't think it is a good idea to squeeze package upgrades in
a short release cycle. To my mind, these standard package are more
welcome in early beta of a standard release cycle. Though,
most of these packages are already in their upgraded versions in
some distros (eg archlinux).