Where to propose addition of change log and updates of documentation ...

rana-aerea rossa

Apr 8, 2020, 10:53:07 AM4/8/20
to sage-devel
I need someone to tell me where to propose three kinds of changes of Sagemath.
(1) I guess Sagemath misses change log for some time.
(2) I also think documentation should reflect recent changes.
(3) I have am looking for ways of silencing deprecation warnings.

Concerning change logs...

I think we also need to add a change log for Sagemath-8.9:
"Sagemath-8.9 is the last version/release whose binary package runs on python2."

I am sure we should add a change log for Sagemath-9.0:
"The binary package Sagemath-9.0 uses python3 instead of python2."
"Sagemath-9.0 does not support sagenb notebooks any more."
"Sagemath-9.0 is the last version/release allowing compilation for python2"

I think we should add a change log for Sagemath-9.1:
"Sagemath-9.1 does not support python any more."
"Start-up problems of Mac application of Sagemath-9.1 are reduced."

There should be more issues to be mentioned in change logs, of course.
But, those I listed are necessary for user's to make decision on which binary to use.

Concerning documentations ...

I think we will need to change codes in the documentation for compatibility with python3.
There are many minor changes so report on this issue might eat-up forums
if I we report them one by one.

Some addition of information of SAGE_ROOT make installation of sagetex easier.

Concerning deprecation warnings ...
I am trying to find a way of silencing deprecation warnings on "..\Q..." and so on.
It is hard to reproduce.
This means deprecation warnings makes user's environment different from the developers.
Thus, I think we should counter deprecation warnings.
I worry there might be plenty of changes to make.

I am a new comer to forums (sage-devel, sage-support, AskSagemath, ..).
I need advice from experts of Sagemath development.

Nils Bruin

Apr 8, 2020, 11:49:26 AM4/8/20
to sage-devel
Concerning deprecation warnings ...
I am trying to find a way of silencing deprecation warnings on "..\Q..." and so on.
It is hard to reproduce.
This means deprecation warnings makes user's environment different from the developers.
Thus, I think we should counter deprecation warnings.

Sage uses python's standard warning system. You can control what happens to warnings:

It gives you rather fine-grained control of what happens to warnings; it requires some study to apply with the desired effect, but since it's a standard python feature, there is quite a bit of help available.

Matthias Koeppe

Apr 8, 2020, 6:30:44 PM4/8/20
to sage-devel

An outline of the python2/python3 situation is on the Sage Wiki at https://wiki.sagemath.org/Python3-Switch; this is linked from the front page of sagemath.org

There are many minor changes so report on this issue might eat-up forums
if I we report them one by one.

That would be too much for sage-devel, but it is not a problem to create many tickets on trac.

I am trying to find a way of silencing deprecation warnings on "..\Q..." and so on.

It is better to just fix them. Usually only a literal string "...." needs to be changed to a raw literal r"....".

Travis Scrimshaw

Apr 8, 2020, 7:13:59 PM4/8/20
to sage-devel

There are many minor changes so report on this issue might eat-up forums
if I we report them one by one.

That would be too much for sage-devel, but it is not a problem to create many tickets on trac.

You can also group them together of somewhat reasonable size too (but don't do all at once unless there are relatively few of them).

I am trying to find a way of silencing deprecation warnings on "..\Q..." and so on.

It is better to just fix them. Usually only a literal string "...." needs to be changed to a raw literal r"....".

+1 and also can be grouped together.

Best,
Travis

John H Palmieri

Apr 8, 2020, 8:09:18 PM4/8/20
to sage-devel
I don't think there are many left in the Sage library itself. Some come from Python packages being called by Sage; for example, IPython.core.inputtransformer does this (fixed in more recent versions). We should certainly fix the ones within Sage, but then we should silence the others (and report them upstream).

--
John

rana-aerea rossa

Apr 9, 2020, 10:51:05 AM4/9/20
to sage-devel
Thank you for many messages.
I will read the recent message in AskSage

```
    How to contribute to Sage in less than 20 easy steps?
```

and propose minor changes.

On the other hand, we need change logs.
The point is here: it is hard to tell new users how to collect information on Sagemath.
Important changes documented in change log might help.
We can mention change logs when we recommend new users to download Sagemath.

Samuel Lelievre

Apr 9, 2020, 12:29:43 PM4/9/20
to sage-devel

Thu 2020-04-09 14:51:05 UTC, rana-aerea rossa:
On the other hand, we need change logs.
The point is here: it is hard to tell new users how to collect
information on Sagemath.
Important changes documented in change log might help.
We can mention change logs when we recommend
new users to download Sagemath.

Sorry, I'm the one holding up the changelogs,
I'll try to do the small thing that is needed and
get them pushed to the usual location next week.

rana-aerea rossa

Apr 9, 2020, 11:28:48 PM4/9/20
to sage-devel
Thank you for your offer/labour.
I think it is a good idea to discuss what to include in change log.

There are many minor updates and I think there are addition of functionalities and so on.
We are scared of labour of finding summary expressions for change,
if this task is assigned for a small group of people.

2020年4月10日金曜日 1時29分43秒 UTC+9 Samuel Lelievre:

Matthias Koeppe

Apr 11, 2020, 2:54:11 PM4/11/20
to sage-devel

Eric Gourgoulhon

Apr 12, 2020, 4:38:59 AM4/12/20
to sage-devel
Le samedi 11 avril 2020 20:54:11 UTC+2, Matthias Koeppe a écrit :

Thanks!

Eric.

Matthias Koeppe

May 3, 2020, 1:30:23 PM5/3/20
to sage-devel
Any progress with this?

rana-aerea rossa

Jun 6, 2020, 11:20:15 AM6/6/20
to sage-devel
I was sick for overwork.
I try to spare time.

2020年5月4日月曜日 2時30分23秒 UTC+9 Matthias Koeppe:

Matthias Koeppe

Jun 7, 2020, 1:36:16 PM6/7/20
to sage-devel
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 10:30:23 AM UTC-7, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 9:29:43 AM UTC-7, Samuel Lelievre wrote:
Thu 2020-04-09 14:51:05 UTC, rana-aerea rossa:
On the other hand, we need change logs.

Any progress with this?

The changelogs are now updated at https://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/index.html
For those who missed it: https://wiki.sagemath.org/ReleaseTours/ has good coverage of 9.1 and at least some coverage of 9.0.
The 9.0 ReleaseTour could probably use some contributions. And perhaps something for 8.x could be added, for the benefit of those who are catching up with the recent developments.