python3-3.8.5 won't compile under Big Sur

harald....@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2021, 3:01:51 PM3/5/21
to sage-devel
Hi,

I've been trying to compile Sage on a Mac running macOS 11.2.2 (Big Sur).
(I first tried to install the binary package, but the process was interrupted by 30+ dialog boxes telling me that I had to authorize this and that .so because it had been downloaded from an unknown source.)

Unfortunately, python3-3.8.5 won't compile. First, it claimed gcc it was broken - but then, when I did

export CC=clang

export CXX=clang++

I still ran into trouble. I've installed zlib, but that doesn't seem to help.

See the log file. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best

Harald Helfgott

University of Goettingen/CNRS

config.log

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 5, 2021, 3:17:38 PM3/5/21
to sage-devel
Hi Harald,
macOS is a fast moving target. Probably the fastest way would be to use Conda:

https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/src/doc/en/installation/conda.rst

(these are most up to date instructions, ones on
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/conda.html are older)

Cheers
Dima

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 5, 2021, 3:59:33 PM3/5/21
to sage-devel
Sage 9.2 does not support building from source on Big Sur (see https://wiki.sagemath.org/ReleaseTours/sage-9.2#Availability_of_Sage_9.2_and_installation_help). You can try the latest development version in the 9.3 series.

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 6, 2021, 5:45:57 AM3/6/21
to sage-devel

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021, 20:17 Dima Pasechnik, <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Harald,
macOS is a fast moving target. Probably the fastest way would be to use Conda:

https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/src/doc/en/installation/conda.rst

(these are most up to date instructions, ones on
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/conda.html are older)

I just checked this on the latest macOS 11.2.1 (with Intel CPU, I don't have access to M1), it seems to get you a working version of Sage 9.2 (probably with some small changes specific to conda).

I personally find conda on macOS a bit too invasive, as they make Terminal automatically start with conda loaded :-(
(probably easy to fix by modifying appropriate ~/.* -files.)

If on the other hand you need to build Sage from source, then see  Matthias' reply.

harald....@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2021, 6:15:09 AM3/6/21
to sage-devel
Strange, I didn't get a working version of Sage 9.2 when I upgraded to Big Sur.

sage is now working under conda (but not otherwise).

Volker Braun

Mar 7, 2021, 6:16:37 AM3/7/21
to sage-devel
For the record, I've set up a BS buildbot at http://build.sagemath.org, but it currently doesn't succeed in compiling Sage.

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 7, 2021, 2:16:08 PM3/7/21
to sage-devel

Volker Braun

Mar 7, 2021, 4:40:08 PM3/7/21
to sage-devel
Looks like its #31326, but I posted some details to #30651