VOTE: Use "CI Fix" label for merging into continuous integration runs

David Roe

Mar 4, 2024, 3:43:47 AMMar 4
to sage-devel
The following proposal has been made several times the last few weeks: in PR #37428, in this thread and then in this thread.  It is orthogonal to the ongoing vote in this thread.  With no further discussion, I'm calling a vote.

Background

Starting in Sage 10.2, PRs with the Blocker label have been merged into all other PRs before running CI; see the changelog and this post for more details.  This has led to disagreements about whether this label should be applied.

Proposal
We use "CI Fix" rather than Blocker to determine whether an open PR should be merged before running CI.  Blocker will retain its previous meaning of a PR that should be merged before the next release is finished.  The process below describes how to resolve disagreements about whether the "CI Fix" label should be applied.
a. Only PRs with positive review should be marked with the "CI Fix" label.  This should be done if both author and reviewer agree that it is appropriate, and a rationale should be given in a comment on the ticket.
b. If a PR becomes disputed (as described in this proposal), the "CI Fix" status can be voted on separately upon request; otherwise it should be applied if and only if positive review is applied.

Voting will be open until Wednesday, March 13.
David

Kwankyu Lee

Mar 4, 2024, 5:31:25 AMMar 4
to sage-devel
+1

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 4, 2024, 8:57:48 AMMar 4
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Giacomo Pope

Mar 4, 2024, 10:49:22 AMMar 4
to sage-devel
+1

Edgar Costa

Mar 4, 2024, 11:03:41 AMMar 4
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

William Stein

Mar 4, 2024, 11:12:43 AMMar 4
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 4, 2024, 12:31:25 PMMar 4
to sage-devel
+1

G. M.-S.

Mar 4, 2024, 2:20:59 PMMar 4
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

+1

Guillermo

Vincent Delecroix

Mar 4, 2024, 2:43:24 PMMar 4
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1

John H Palmieri

Mar 4, 2024, 4:01:06 PMMar 4
to sage-devel
+1

Nathan Dunfield

Mar 4, 2024, 10:38:42 PMMar 4
to sage-devel
+1

Travis Scrimshaw

Mar 7, 2024, 3:19:24 PMMar 7
to sage-devel
+1

David Lowry-Duda

Mar 8, 2024, 6:18:37 PMMar 8
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
+1

- DLD

On 03:43 Mon 04 Mar 2024, David Roe wrote:
>The following proposal has been made several times the last few weeks: in
>PR #37428 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/37428>, in this thread
><https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/uWHaWK7b6H4> and then in this
>thread <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/XDvKkMRoDk4>. It is
>orthogonal to the ongoing vote in this thread
><https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/E0qfJTMETDk>. With no further
>discussion, I'm calling a vote.
>
>*Background*
>
>Starting in Sage 10.2, PRs with the Blocker label have been merged into all
>other PRs before running CI; see the changelog
><https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Sage-10.2-Release-Tour#open-blocker-prs-are-applied-automatically-in-ci-workflows>
>and this post
><https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/uWHaWK7b6H4/m/cM77D8E5AAAJ> for
>more details. This has led to disagreements about whether this label
>should be applied.
>
>*Proposal*
>We use "CI Fix" rather than Blocker to determine whether an open PR should
>be merged before running CI. Blocker will retain its previous meaning of a
>PR that should be merged before the next release is finished. The process
>below describes how to resolve disagreements about whether the "CI Fix"
>label should be applied.
>a. Only PRs with positive review should be marked with the "CI Fix" label.
>This should be done if both author and reviewer agree that it is
>appropriate, and a rationale should be given in a comment on the ticket.
>b. If a PR becomes disputed (as described in this proposal
><https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/IgBYUJl33SQ>), the "CI Fix"
>status can be voted on separately upon request; otherwise it should be
>applied if and only if positive review is applied.
>
>Voting will be open until Wednesday, March 13.
>David
>
>--

David Lowry-Duda <da...@lowryduda.com> <davidlowryduda.com>

Eric Gourgoulhon

Mar 10, 2024, 11:58:42 AMMar 10
to sage-devel
+1

Eric.

seb....@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2024, 1:37:24 PMMar 10
to sage-devel
+1

Eric Gourgoulhon schrieb am Sonntag, 10. März 2024 um 16:58:42 UTC+1:
+1

Eric.

David Roe

Mar 20, 2024, 1:18:53 PMMar 20
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
This vote has passed, and I've added a "CI Fix" label on github.  I am not going to have time to implement changes to our CI infrastructure in the near future, but others are welcome to do so.
David

Matthias Koeppe

May 6, 2024, 2:54:51 PMMay 6
to sage-devel
I have implemented this change in https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37950, needs review.

Matthias Koeppe

May 20, 2024, 2:28:24 PM (13 days ago) May 20
to sage-devel
This was merged in 10.4.beta6, so the "CI Fix" label can now be used.