Proposal: downgrade some packages to experimental

John H Palmieri

Aug 6, 2022, 12:49:21 AM8/6/22
to sage-devel
The following packages do not build for me on OS X 12.5 (Monterrey), Intel chip:
  • polylib (#33758)
  • symengine_py (#34141)
  • p_group_cohomology (#30787)
  • r_jupyter
  • rubiks
I propose that these be downgraded from optional to experimental until the issues are fixed. What do people think?

--
John

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 6, 2022, 2:07:51 AM8/6/22
to sage-devel
Also on various Linux platforms (https://github.com/sagemath/sage/actions/runs/2777704587) I see failures for
symengine_py,
p_group_cohomology,
r_jupyter

So these 3 definitely need to be changed to "experimental".

John H Palmieri

Aug 6, 2022, 2:55:36 PM8/6/22
to sage-devel
Also, the various sage_numerical_backend_* packages fail to build, with errors like

  Error compiling Cython file:
  from sage.numerical.backends.generic_backend cimport GenericBackend
  ^

  check_add_col_untyped_args.pyx:1:0: 'sage/numerical/backends/generic_backend.pxd' not found

Also downgrade? Is there a ticket for this?

Isuru Fernando

Aug 6, 2022, 2:57:08 PM8/6/22
to sage-devel
I haven't seen any reports about symengine.py failing to build. Can you open an issue?

Isuru

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 6, 2022, 3:39:00 PM8/6/22
to sage-devel

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 6, 2022, 3:50:02 PM8/6/22
to sage-devel
The symengine ticket is https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/34141

John H Palmieri

Aug 6, 2022, 4:09:37 PM8/6/22
to sage-devel
Thank you for the link. With this ticket, the gurobi and cplex backends still fail because I don't have gurobi and cplex installed. It would be nice if that was detected earlier in the process and the build failed right away. Actually, it is detected early in the process:

  /bin/sh: gurobi.sh: No such file or directory
  GUROBI_HOME is not set, or it does not point to a directory with a Gurobi installation.  Trying to link against -lgurobi

but the installation proceeds anyway. But this is a separate issue.

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 6, 2022, 4:23:46 PM8/6/22
to sage-devel
The sage_numerical_backends_* packages are on their way out anyway.
Coin support will switch to go through CVXPy in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/34251, and Gurobi/CPLEX likewise in a follow up ticket

Travis Scrimshaw

Aug 7, 2022, 3:03:41 AM8/7/22
to sage-devel
I would like to see the p_group_cohomology fixed. Progress got stalled on that, but I am happy to work on that (while I have time for August).

Best,
Travis

Marc Culler

Aug 7, 2022, 8:49:41 AM8/7/22
to sage-devel
The p_group_cohomology package is included in the macOS binary release.  it requires a patch to its spkg-install,sh.  Symengine_py is also included in the macOS binary and also needs a patch.  I am attaching a tarball of the build/pkg directories for those two packages.

- Marc
pgroup_symengine.tgz

Marc Culler

Aug 7, 2022, 8:55:29 AM8/7/22
to sage-devel
Yes, there is a ticket for this.  It is #34221.  The current version of Cython ignores .pxd files in directories with no __init__.py.  The ticket backports a cython fix for that problem which will appear in a future Cython release.

- Marc

Marc Culler

Aug 7, 2022, 9:03:30 AM8/7/22
to sage-devel
Incidentally, the patch for p_group_cohomology that I uploaded above also appeared in #30787 .

- Marc

John H Palmieri

Aug 7, 2022, 3:48:21 PM8/7/22
to sage-devel
I would like to see all of them fixed, p_group_cohomology especially, but I think we are coming up on a release and if the package doesn't build on supported platforms, we can't really call it optional. Once a package is fixed, then it should immediately get promoted back to optional again.

Regards,
  John

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 7, 2022, 3:57:26 PM8/7/22
to sage-devel

On Sun, 7 Aug 2022, 20:48 John H Palmieri, <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to see all of them fixed, p_group_cohomology especially,

there is a regression to solve with the package, which needs understanding of the algorithm behind. (build problems are solved, I think).

Matthias Koeppe

Aug 7, 2022, 4:11:36 PM8/7/22
to sage-devel
On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 12:48:21 PM UTC-7 John H Palmieri wrote:
I would like to see all of them fixed, p_group_cohomology especially, but I think we are coming up on a release and if the package doesn't build on supported platforms, we can't really call it optional. Once a package is fixed, then it should immediately get promoted back to optional again.

+1