Error building Sage on Linux Mint 17.1

B Gillespie

Mar 30, 2020, 7:35:06 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
I'm having trouble compiling the Sage develop branch on my Linux Mint 17.1 laptop.  It dies when compiling Python 3, and in particular in the log file I see that it is having a failure when testing the import for the module "readline".  Any ideas what might be the issue?

As a little more info, I've successfully built older versions of Sage on this operating system (earlier in the 18.X timeframe) but haven't needed to build from source since 19.X.  I've attached the log file for the python3 build; let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Thanks a lot,
Bryan Gillespie
python3-3.7.3.p1.log

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 30, 2020, 7:42:09 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
Hi Bryan,

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 7:35:06 PM UTC-4, B Gillespie wrote:
I'm having trouble compiling the Sage develop branch on my Linux Mint 17.1 laptop.  It dies when compiling Python 3, and in particular in the log file I see that it is having a failure when testing the import for the module "readline".  Any ideas what might be the issue?

As a little more info, I've successfully built older versions of Sage on this operating system (earlier in the 18.X timeframe) but haven't needed to build from source since 19.X.  I've attached the log file for the python3 build; let me know if any other information would be helpful.

The top-level config.log would be helpful.

B Gillespie

Mar 30, 2020, 10:29:00 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
Hi Matthias,

For sure, thanks for taking a look.  Also, I remembered that I actually upgraded to Linux Mint 19 a number of months ago, in case that's relevant.

Best,
Bryan
config.log

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 30, 2020, 10:33:32 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:29 AM B Gillespie <ceili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> For sure, thanks for taking a look. Also, I remembered that I actually upgraded to Linux Mint 19 a number of months ago, in case that's relevant.

Do you have libreadline-dev installed?

> Best,
> Bryan
>
> On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 5:42:09 PM UTC-6, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bryan,
>>
>> On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 7:35:06 PM UTC-4, B Gillespie wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble compiling the Sage develop branch on my Linux Mint 17.1 laptop. It dies when compiling Python 3, and in particular in the log file I see that it is having a failure when testing the import for the module "readline". Any ideas what might be the issue?
>>>
>>> As a little more info, I've successfully built older versions of Sage on this operating system (earlier in the 18.X timeframe) but haven't needed to build from source since 19.X. I've attached the log file for the python3 build; let me know if any other information would be helpful.
>>

>> The top-level config.log would be helpful.

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 30, 2020, 10:36:50 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:33 AM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:29 AM B Gillespie <ceili...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > For sure, thanks for taking a look. Also, I remembered that I actually upgraded to Linux Mint 19 a number of months ago, in case that's relevant.
>
> Do you have libreadline-dev installed?

By the way, do you see at the end of the ./confugure run a list of
packages recommended to be installed?
E.g. on Fedora one would see something like

configure: Hint: Installing the following system packages is
recommended and may avoid building some of the above SPKGs from
source:
configure: $ sudo yum install arb arb-devel coin-or-Cbc
coin-or-Cbc-devel eclib eclib-devel gmp-ecm gmp-ecm-devel
fflas-ffpack-devel flint flint-devel libfplll libfplll-devel givaro
givaro-devel isl-devel L-function-devel L-function libatomic_ops
libatomic_ops-devel libmpc libmpc-devel mpfr-devel
configure: After installation, re-run configure using:
configure: $ ./config.status --recheck && ./config.status

B Gillespie

Mar 30, 2020, 10:37:09 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
My system install of libreadline-dev shows up as version 7.0-3 in synaptic.  In a local prompt for python3, "import readline" executes without barking.

Bryan

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 8:33:32 PM UTC-6, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:29 AM B Gillespie <ceili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> For sure, thanks for taking a look.  Also, I remembered that I actually upgraded to Linux Mint 19 a number of months ago, in case that's relevant.

Do you have  libreadline-dev installed?

> Best,
> Bryan
>
> On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 5:42:09 PM UTC-6, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bryan,
>>
>> On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 7:35:06 PM UTC-4, B Gillespie wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble compiling the Sage develop branch on my Linux Mint 17.1 laptop.  It dies when compiling Python 3, and in particular in the log file I see that it is having a failure when testing the import for the module "readline".  Any ideas what might be the issue?
>>>
>>> As a little more info, I've successfully built older versions of Sage on this operating system (earlier in the 18.X timeframe) but haven't needed to build from source since 19.X.  I've attached the log file for the python3 build; let me know if any other information would be helpful.
>>

>> The top-level config.log would be helpful.

B Gillespie

Mar 30, 2020, 10:43:56 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
My installation command was: `MAKE='make -j7' make`, so I didn't see the output of running ./configure.  The configure script does indeed list a number of packages it recommends installing locally -- I'll install and try recompiling to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks,
Bryan
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-...@googlegroups.com.

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 30, 2020, 10:46:08 PM3/30/20
to sage-devel
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:37 AM B Gillespie <ceili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My system install of libreadline-dev shows up as version 7.0-3 in synaptic. In a local prompt for python3, "import readline" executes without barking.

could you install libncurses5-dev (that's at least what is needed on
Debian together with readline) and try again?

(but, indeed, also please look at the hints at the end of
./configure's output, and follow them)
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/7c952869-610a-4f4c-82c0-878e980f2966%40googlegroups.com.

B Gillespie

Mar 31, 2020, 12:45:15 AM3/31/20
to sage-devel
Excellent, the build completed successfully with the recommended packages installed.  Thanks for the help diagnosing!

Best,
Bryan