Sage 9.4.beta0 fails to build on MacOS 10.15.7

Paul Masson

Jun 7, 2021, 7:05:46 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
Let me preface this issue by saying that I don't use Sage much because I prefer to work in pure JavaScript. I'm only trying to build in order to upgrade Three.js. The process needs to be frictionless for me.

After "configure" and a couple "make distclean", the build process hangs at a specific spot in the documentation build system. Here was the initial hang:

[sage_docbuild-9.4.beta0] Installing collected packages: sage-docbuild
[sage_docbuild-9.4.beta0]
[sage_docbuild-9.4.beta0] Successfully installed sage-docbuild-9.4b0
[sage_docbuild-9.4.beta0] Removed build tracker: '/private/var/folders/np/_r579ck92g1f9x1tzcvdhy5m0000gn/T/pip-req-tracker-l7mxw1p6'
touch "/Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/var/lib/sage/installed/sage_docbuild-9.4.beta0"

Tried another distclean. Tried manually setting permissions on the touched file to 755. Tried deleting my .sage directory.

Every run builds a bit more of other packages then halts on this line. Every time.

Anyone know how to avoid this? Can't upgrade Three.js is I can't build.

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 7, 2021, 7:08:20 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
you don't need to build docs per se, just do

make build

Paul Masson

Jun 7, 2021, 7:10:54 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
That's precisely what I'm doing!

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 7, 2021, 7:18:05 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
hmm, this is new to me. Why would docbuild be needed to be built if no docs are going to be built, its not logical.

David Roe

Jun 7, 2021, 8:33:20 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
Can you outline the steps you're taking from the beginning?  I think Dima is suggesting that the only reason that you'd see [sage_docbuild-9.4.beta0] is if you used `make` rather than `make build`.
David

Paul Masson

Jun 7, 2021, 9:23:47 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
It's been awhile since I've built Sage, but really this is what I'm doing:

Ran "configure" just in case anything had changed
Ran "make distclean" to start fresh
Ran "make build" mostly because I forgot about a simple "make"

The documentation error truly appears for "make build". At this point I could live without the documentation, since this upgrade won't add new features to the viewer.

David Roe

Jun 7, 2021, 9:44:01 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
The doc build is at the very end; does Sage work now?  If not, what error does it give when you try to start it?
David

Matthias Koeppe

Jun 7, 2021, 9:56:53 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
`sage_docbuild` is the name of the package that provides the docbuilding code. Installing it does not build the documentation.

Paul Masson

Jun 7, 2021, 10:08:34 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
As an experiment I tried running "make" on its own, and it's currently building the documentation. Hopefully the remainder of Sage will now build.

Telling you, there is an error installing sage_docbuild using just "make build".

Paul Masson

Jun 7, 2021, 10:35:09 PM6/7/21
to sage-devel
The documentation builds but the remainder does not. If I then run "make build" it still hangs at the same line.

Will try "make distclean" followed by single "make". It appears to be building the documentation too early.

Paul Masson

Jun 8, 2021, 1:39:06 AM6/8/21
to sage-devel
And that didn't work either. Build hangs at the end of documentation:

[dochtml] Elapsed time: 1773.8 seconds.

[dochtml] Done building the documentation!

Then nothing more.

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 8, 2021, 2:37:07 AM6/8/21
to sage-devel
no need to do distclean all the time, imho.
You can just kill the hanging process.
It looks like a lock not clearing somewhere.

How about

      make ptest

?

Does this get you past building, and onto
testing ?

Paul Masson

Jun 8, 2021, 2:51:02 PM6/8/21
to sage-devel
It does not. This time it ran through the documentation build again, then hung on sympow. No testing.

I quite that process and ran "make build" again. This time it hangs on a different package, and look at the first line below:

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] - cleaning build/lib.macosx-10.14-x86_64-3.7

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] - cleaning /Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] Cleaning up stale file: /Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/sage/ext_data/nbconvert/__pycache__/postprocess.cpython-37.pyc

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] Finished cleaning, time: 0.34 seconds.

[sagelib-9.4.beta0]

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] real 0m13.022s

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] user 0m8.735s

[sagelib-9.4.beta0] sys 0m3.623s

touch "/Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/var/lib/sage/installed/sagelib-9.4.beta0"

Has anyone built Sage on 10.15 (Catalina)? Sage seems to think I'm using the previous version.

Paul Masson

Jun 8, 2021, 2:57:23 PM6/8/21
to sage-devel
Last question was silly: it built just fine for me at the end of last year, with the same version number of the OS. Still, why would 10.14 be appearing in the log?

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 8, 2021, 3:13:35 PM6/8/21
to sage-devel
On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM Paul Masson <paulm...@comcast.net> wrote:

> It does not. This time it ran through the documentation build again, then hung on sympow. No testing.
>
> I quite that process and ran "make build" again. This time it hangs on a different package, and look at the first line below:
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] - cleaning build/lib.macosx-10.14-x86_64-3.7
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] - cleaning /Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] Cleaning up stale file: /Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/sage/ext_data/nbconvert/__pycache__/postprocess.cpython-37.pyc
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] Finished cleaning, time: 0.34 seconds.
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0]
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] real 0m13.022s
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] user 0m8.735s
>
> [sagelib-9.4.beta0] sys 0m3.623s
>
> touch "/Users/Masson/Downloads/GitHub/sage/local/var/lib/sage/installed/sagelib-9.4.beta0"
>

> Has anyone built Sage on 10.15 (Catalina)? Sage seems to think I'm using the previous version.
Sage 9.3 yes, sure, see e.g. sage-9.3-OSX_10.15.7-x86_64.tar.bz2 on mirrors.

Do you have some special env.vars set? Could you post the top-level config.log?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/8858ee6d-13c1-4139-a92f-d572d09ffcban%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Masson

Jun 8, 2021, 3:43:32 PM6/8/21
to sage-devel
Haven't changed anything in Sage since last fall.
config.log

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 8, 2021, 4:19:44 PM6/8/21
to sage-devel
Your Homebrew install appears to be quite outdated. It has gfortran 8.2, for instance. Is your xcode also outdated?
Could you upgrade these?

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 8, 2021, 5:21:03 PM6/8/21
to sage-devel
On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 7:57 PM Paul Masson <paulm...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Last question was silly: it built just fine for me at the end of last year, with the same version number of the OS. Still, why would 10.14 be appearing in the log?

it comes from your /usr/bin/python3 -
which apparently was installed while your machine still ran 10.14, and
not updated.