Clicking a chat notification no longer visits the issuing file

Dave Rosoff

Oct 11, 2016, 12:39:17 AM10/11/16
to sage-cloud
Hello,

I noticed this morning that when my students chat from files in their SMC projects (these are .c++ files), I see the notification as usual but the behavior has changed. Last week, clicking the notification would take me to the chat within the file, so that I could see their code alongside the chat. Today it takes me to the .sage-chat file, so I see the whole chat but have to visit the file manually.

This wouldn't be a big deal except that the .sage-chat file seems to live in a .-version of their entire project. That is, if the student chats to me from ~/path/to/the/source.c++, the file the notification opens is ~/.path/to/the/.source.c++.sage-chat. So I have to do some navigation before I can get into the file. It is not the end of the world to have to do this, but it would be simpler to just see the file that "owns" the chat, since I invariably want to visit it before responding.

Thanks for everything,
Dave

William Stein

Oct 11, 2016, 10:42:08 AM10/11/16
to sage-cloud
Github issue created. This is definitely a new bug:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues/1022

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.

William Stein

Oct 11, 2016, 12:16:23 PM10/11/16
to sage-cloud
Hi,

I've fixed this. Unfortunately, the fix only applies to new
notification (so the old buggy notifications will linger a while).
Browser refresh will be required for this to be fixed, but there will
be a big red banner requiring a refresh in the next few minutes.

Sorry about this -- it was my fault for not refereeing some code more carefully.

William

Dave Rosoff

Oct 12, 2016, 11:14:30 AM10/12/16
to sage-cloud
Thanks for the quick fix! We did see the refresh banner during class. I waited a little bit to see if I could test it with a new chat notification... so of course I have not gotten any. I will write back to this thread if anything still seems out of order.

Thanks again for all you do.
Dave

William Stein

Oct 12, 2016, 11:30:21 AM10/12/16
to sage-cloud
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Dave Rosoff <dro...@collegeofidaho.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick fix! We did see the refresh banner during class. I
> waited a little bit to see if I could test it with a new chat
> notification... so of course I have not gotten any. I will write back to
> this thread if anything still seems out of order.

Thanks. We're currently pretty obsessed with listing (and fixing) all
known SMC bugs. Here's the current list:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3AI-bug