Is MySql installed on SageMathCloud?

Peter Luschny

Jan 12, 2017, 1:07:46 PM1/12/17
to sage-cloud
Hi all,

"R can connect easily to many relational databases like MySql ...,
R has a built-in package named "RMySQL" which provides native
connectivity with MySql database."

It is this context which might be interesting for me.

Peter

Harald Schilly

Jan 12, 2017, 1:29:08 PM1/12/17
to sage-cloud
Hello, we don't run any database instances on the back-end, so you
would have to run it inside a project on your own. That's usually not
really exciting and we rather recommend file-based databases like
SQLite3. There is a wrapper package for SQLite3 in R, would this fit
your needs?

-- harald

Peter Luschny

Jan 12, 2017, 1:36:31 PM1/12/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
SQLite3. There is a wrapper package for SQLite3 in R, would this fit
your needs?

I would use it primarily to learn R and try out prototypes so I think it would certainly suffice.

Peter

Harald Schilly

Jan 12, 2017, 1:56:12 PM1/12/17
to sage-cloud
Ok, sounds good.

And FYI and whoever is reading this: we have two R environments. The
one inside of SageMath (in Jupyter it's the "R (SageMath)" kernel,
named "ir-sage") and the "official" R from the project "R (R-Project)"
kernel, named "ir". On the command-line, there is "R" vs "R-sage" and
"Rscript" vs "Rscript-sage".

The R-Project R is more recent and has more packages installed
(including the mentioned RSQLite), so I suggest to use that one by
default.

-- harald

Hal Snyder

Jan 12, 2017, 1:58:55 PM1/12/17
to sage-cloud

I would use it primarily to learn R and try out prototypes so I think it would certainly suffice.

Peter

SMC is an excellent platform for learning R. You can use:

- sage worksheets with %r mode
- jupyter notebooks with R kernel
- R Markdown with .Rmd
- and most recently Sweave with .Rnw files.

I've used SMC with several online courses in R, including The Analytics Edge from MIT (https://www.edx.org/course/analytics-edge-mitx-15-071x-2) and several courses in the Data Science series from Johns Hopkins (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/jhu-data-science).

Hal

Peter Luschny

Jan 12, 2017, 2:16:17 PM1/12/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
The R-Project R is more recent and has more packages installed
(including the mentioned RSQLite), so I suggest to use that one by
default.

Thanks Harald!

Peter Luschny

Jan 12, 2017, 2:17:02 PM1/12/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I've used SMC with several online courses in R, including The Analytics Edge from MIT (https://www.edx.org/course/analytics-edge-mitx-15-071x-2) and several courses in the Data Science series from Johns Hopkins (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/jhu-data-science).

Thanks Hal!

kcrisman

Jan 13, 2017, 11:47:06 AM1/13/17
to sage-cloud

- and most recently Sweave with .Rnw files.

You mean knitr :) since SMC ads have been touting that lately - but agreed!

kcrisman

Jan 13, 2017, 11:47:52 AM1/13/17
to sage-cloud

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:47:06 AM UTC-5, kcrisman wrote:

- and most recently Sweave with .Rnw files.

You mean knitr :) since SMC ads have been touting that lately - but agreed!

(And to be clear, I didn't me YOU but rather "one can upgrade to", nothing personal intended.)