Feature: Course signup link?

Stephan Ehlen

Dec 1, 2016, 10:37:32 AM12/1/16
to sage-cloud
Hi,

I haven’t participated in any discussions here in a while and I don’t know if you discussed something like this before, but I couldn’t find anything.

I’m teaching a large course this semester (>400 students are signed up for the tutorial sessions although less make it to class…).
It is a first university level course for math edu students (i.e. they want to become math teachers) but half of the class is also
in a program called “information systems” (economy and computer science (roughly)).

I want to offer “optional" / bonus homework using SMC. That is, I want to give them assignments that they should solve in SMC
where I grade them (half-)automatically. However, since these are optional, I don’t want to sign all of them up for SMC but since on the other hand I could potentially get a few hundred
submissions, I don’t want to make them send me an email if they want to do these problems either.

Other people might be in similar situation where the following feature would be desirable:
I would like to announce a course signup link on the website of my course so that a student could click on the link and would be
presented with a signup form for SMC and automatically enrolled in a course that I created in a project in SMC.
If the student already has an account, they could enter their credentials to log in and be added to the course.

I think this should be not too hard to implement (I guess) but extremely helpful. What do you think?

Stephan

Harald Schilly

Dec 1, 2016, 12:12:42 PM12/1/16
to sage-cloud
Hi, well, I think that's harder to implement than you think, because courses are inherently part of the project. But first I want to make sure I understand it:

1. You want to essentially have a "join course" link on your website, which opens up a "special" SMC page.
2. If no account, offer to sign up, otherwise step 3.
3. That "join course" link contains some token-information, about which course to join. That's used to automatically add that account as a student.

-- harald

Stephan Ehlen

Dec 1, 2016, 12:31:48 PM12/1/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harald,

thanks for your answer and yes, that’s exactly what I mean.

A more advanced solution would maybe even allow the user to enter some additional data when joining the course but if you think that already the basic version is not so simple, then I won’t say more about that for now.

Another option would be to have a page that lists all courses on SMC that students can sign up for (this could be a config option of the course) and if you’re logged in you can register for a course and maybe the course lecturer would have to confirm this. This would still require the students to register first and then go to that course list but it also satisfies my main requirement that it would be possible that the student initiates the process of becoming member of a course and not the prof.

Cheers,
Stephan