RethinkDB to PostgreSQL Migration Question

閲覧: 84 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Robert Lowe

未読、
2017/03/04 20:02:262017/03/04
To: sage-cloud

As some of you may recall, I have been running a local SMC copy for my students at Maryville College.  This is a service open to MC students only, and so it has a slightly customized SMC code base.  (you can get it from my fork of smc at http://github.com/pngwen/smc, the mc branch is the one I run for them.)

Anyway, I decided to pull upstream changes to prepare a new version for use on my servers.  I noticed that a lot has changed, and for the better!  The code is more readable and I like that it uses PostgreSQL, which is a lot more queryable.  However, after poking around for a couple of hours, I couldn't find anything that looked like a migration script.  Is there one in the code base?

I mean, clearly, you must have written something to move the rethinkdb data over to PostgreSQL.  Is the live site using what's on the master branch or is there a separate branch/tag for that?  I ask because another possibility is that you haven't finished the postgres backed version of SMC.  But if it is live, then you must have moved the data over somehow!

Thanks for any advice/tips anyone may give.  I'll make my institutional mods to the new SMC, and then I will follow that up with a configurable version for institutional installations.

Thanks,

Bob Lowe

Harald Schilly

未読、
2017/03/05 7:39:272017/03/05
To: sage-cloud

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 2:02:26 AM UTC+1, Robert Lowe wrote:

I couldn't find anything that looked like a migration script.  Is there one in the code base?

I think you're looking for

It's some one-off code william wrote and I don't know if it would also work for your case. There were a couple of issues with the json encoding, too, so maybe there is even some manual work involved.

-- harald

Robert Lowe

未読、
2017/03/05 10:12:412017/03/05
To: sage-cloud
Yes!  That's exactly what I am looking for.  I'm not sure how I missed that.  Somehow I had found the k8s migration scripts but not this one.  Thank you for your help!  I think I'm going to make some modifications and have my local version of the newer SMC up and running during our spring break (which starts on March 20). My students will come back to a shiny new SMC :-D

-Bob

William Stein

未読、
2017/03/05 12:02:112017/03/05
To: sage-...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

I recommend not migrating the syncstrings and patches tables.  Just leave them empty. There's other stuff you would have to do to properly migrate those.. Edit history will get reset but everything will be fine otherwise.

William

Best Regards,
William Stein

CEO, SageMath, Inc.

Robert Lowe

未読、
2017/03/05 19:14:262017/03/05
To: sage-cloud
Thanks for the heads up.  That's good to know!  I will be sure to alert all my uses to the edit history reset.  I don't think that will be a big deal for them as most of them use other revision control mechanisms (like rcs or git).  Though I have heard that the time travel feature is a big hit when deadlines get close!

-Bob
全員に返信
投稿者に返信
転送