Re: [sage-devel] Sage cells in interact wiki

Andrey Novoseltsev

Sep 19, 2016, 4:46:37 PM9/19/16
to sage-devel, novo...@gmail.com, sage...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 19 September 2016 10:53:27 UTC-6, William wrote:
This seems to be an absolutely *massive* issue, which I'm sure was caused by some API change by Andrey.  These wiki pages have worked fine for about 7 years, so it's annoying that they are all suddenly broken.

I guess it was meant to use the Sage cell server to make the examples actually work but it doesn't do that anymore.

They did actually work (and well) until very, very recently.

Do you have a better idea of how recently? Week/month/several months?

Looking at the page source, I do not understand how embedded_sagecell.js is supposed to load and there are no requests for it reported by browser. Console complains about $, so something is off with jQuery, I guess. For the record there is no need to load/use it with sagecell.makeSagecell at all. And as "official API" that I am trying hard not to break (or at least fix when I do) I consider https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/doc/embedding.rst

So - it does not work indeed, but I have no idea why and I hope that I am not responsible ;-)

Thank you!
Andrey

 -- William

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdem...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
The "interact" wiki page
https://wiki.sagemath.org/interact
is seriously broken: I guess it was meant to use the Sage cell server to make the examples actually work but it doesn't do that anymore. What is worse: also the source code is not shown, making the examples almost totally useless...

Well, the Sage source code is still in the source of the wiki page, but that's not very practical. However, there seem to be some backslash-escaping going on, making the examples not 100% copy-pastable.

Some context: I am working on an implementation of the SageNB interacts in Jupyter at https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21267 and that page is a valuable source of examples for me.

William Stein

Sep 19, 2016, 8:48:25 PM9/19/16
to Andrey Novoseltsev, Mike Hansen, sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Andrey Novoseltsev <novo...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, 19 September 2016 10:53:27 UTC-6, William wrote:
This seems to be an absolutely *massive* issue, which I'm sure was caused by some API change by Andrey.  These wiki pages have worked fine for about 7 years, so it's annoying that they are all suddenly broken.

I guess it was meant to use the Sage cell server to make the examples actually work but it doesn't do that anymore.

They did actually work (and well) until very, very recently.

Do you have a better idea of how recently? Week/month/several months?

Hmm.  This could also coincide with when Mike Hansen moved the wiki to GCE.

Looking at the page source, I do not understand how embedded_sagecell.js is supposed to load and there are no requests for it reported by browser. Console complains about $, so something is off with jQuery, I guess. For the record there is no need to load/use it with sagecell.makeSagecell at all. And as "official API" that I am trying hard not to break (or at least fix when I do) I consider https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/doc/embedding.rst

So - it does not work indeed, but I have no idea why and I hope that I am not responsible ;-)

I now think that you are not responsible at all.  Thanks for the hints above!

[...]

Jason Grout

Sep 19, 2016, 8:59:08 PM9/19/16
to William Stein, Andrey Novoseltsev, Mike Hansen, sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
Some ideas:

Is the MoinMoin sage cell extension enabled? https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/contrib/moinmoin/sagecell.py. If it is enabled, was MoinMoin updated and the extension no longer works?

Thanks,

Jason

Paul Masson

Sep 19, 2016, 10:48:38 PM9/19/16
to sage-devel, novo...@gmail.com, sage...@googlegroups.com
I copied the generated source from a couple pages to an empty file and added a link to the SageMathCell script,

and the interacts run (albeit with numerous deprecation errors). There is no problem with the SageMathCell server, there's just no JavaScript available to process the interacts.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Sep 19, 2016, 10:59:47 PM9/19/16
to sage-cell, wst...@gmail.com, novo...@gmail.com, mha...@gmail.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com, ja...@jasongrout.org
On Monday, 19 September 2016 18:59:08 UTC-6, Jason Grout wrote:
Some ideas:

Is the MoinMoin sage cell extension enabled? https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/contrib/moinmoin/sagecell.py. If it is enabled, was MoinMoin updated and the extension no longer works?

While I think the old version should work if it is enabled (no clue about this stuff), it is not necessary to load jQuery, we do not promote aleph name, and HTTPS is better. I've made some changes here and hope that they will work: https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/commit/b3f3985c6286f745d92e677acf3a17314c7087ce

Thanks,

Jason

Andrey Novoseltsev

Oct 9, 2016, 7:38:31 PM10/9/16
to sage-devel, wst...@gmail.com, novo...@gmail.com, mha...@gmail.com, sage...@googlegroups.com, ja...@jasongrout.org
On Monday, 19 September 2016 18:59:09 UTC-6, Jason Grout wrote:
Some ideas:

Is the MoinMoin sage cell extension enabled? https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/contrib/moinmoin/sagecell.py. If it is enabled, was MoinMoin updated and the extension no longer works?

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for the pointer, Jason! Cells are created now but it would be great to go over interacts to fix deprecated and broken things or report new bugs.

kcrisman

Oct 10, 2016, 9:18:03 PM10/10/16
to sage-cell

Is the MoinMoin sage cell extension enabled? https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/contrib/moinmoin/sagecell.py. If it is enabled, was MoinMoin updated and the extension no longer works?

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for the pointer, Jason! Cells are created now but it would be great to go over interacts to fix deprecated and broken things or report new bugs.

Great work, Andrey!  Hopefully I can help a bit with that.