Owl help needed

eulrich44

Jan 12, 2023, 9:03:59 PM1/12/23
to Rogue Valley Birds, von...@live.com
Hi Elizabeth, I’m forwarding your question to the Rogue Valley Birds list Serv to see if anyone can answer your question.

If you have info for Eli’s please reply all. Thanks!!

-Erin Ulrich

Message: Hi!
Do you know of any local owl researchers/birders who install nest cams? A pair of Barn Owls is hanging around our nest box and exhibiting all the behaviors of adopting a nesting site. (I am SO excited!) They haven't moved into the nest box yet but have hung out on and around it every night since 1/1. Lots of courting behavior. I see them flying to and from the tree from about 8 p.m. onward each night. (I can see them both right now.) We have a good owl box about 18 feet up, but I don't know the first thing about installing a webcam before they nest in March.  Any referrals would be appreciated.
Elizabeth
Medford
--
Erin
Erin M. Ulrich

Harry Fuller

Jan 12, 2023, 9:11:09 PM1/12/23
to eulrich44, Rogue Valley Birds, von...@live.com
I forwarded to Lee French and Peter Thiemann who both have significant trail cam knowledge

Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:
author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.com
birding website: http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

eulrich44

Jan 12, 2023, 9:15:36 PM1/12/23
to Harry Fuller, Rogue Valley Birds, von...@live.com
Great, thanks, Harry!!

Erin

Gretchen Ousterhout

Jan 13, 2023, 5:30:24 AM1/13/23
to eulrich44, Rogue Valley Birds, von...@live.com
It's important to make sure you don't have rat poison around, even in bait boxes, because despite what the exterminators tell you, it definitely goes up the food chain and can kill raptors that eat poisoned rodents (USFWS forensics lab has confirmed this). It can take a few days to kill rats (and weasels, cats, coyotes, foxes, dogs, sadly) which makes them easy prey, especially for young owls. Owls will do a good job dealing with rodents themselves, which is why when we had a vineyard we had multiple owl boxes around and never had a rat problem.

Gretchen Ousterhout
(541)613-5940

Karl Schneck

Jan 13, 2023, 1:28:53 PM1/13/23
to Rogue Valley Birds
I've had Barn Owls nesting in a box at my place for several years now. The only pictures I have of them inside the box were taken with a cell phone. I had to open the top of the box and even though the adult didn't fly out of the box, it would be less disturbing to the owls if a nest cam was used. Most of my pictures have been taken with a much better camera of them roosting outside the nest box. I suspect a trail cam with such a close focal point and narrow view wouldn't work well inside the box. Photos at:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/albums/72157718150877921

von...@live.com

Jan 14, 2023, 12:57:56 PM1/14/23
to Rogue Valley Birds
Thank you, Erin and everyone else, for your responses. Elizabeth