No Tree Swallows.

William Lofthouse

Jun 19, 2021, 11:53:24 PM6/19/21
to rv-b...@googlegroups.com
Lived on 10 acres off Corp Ranch Rd. 10 plus bird boxes. Every year except spring of 2021 majority of TW Swallows, a few pair of W. Bluebirds. This year none. Any other birds note this phenomenon.  Very dry, no insects, no irrigated hayfields. Bill Lofthouse

George Peterson

Jun 20, 2021, 10:56:00 AM6/20/21
to William Lofthouse, rv-b...@googlegroups.com
I had at least one set of tree swallows and several blue birds fledge this year

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2021, at 8:53 PM, William Lofthouse <belof...@gmail.com> wrote:

Lived on 10 acres off Corp Ranch Rd. 10 plus bird boxes. Every year except spring of 2021 majority of TW Swallows, a few pair of W. Bluebirds. This year none. Any other birds note this phenomenon.  Very dry, no insects, no irrigated hayfields. Bill Lofthouse

Gretchen Hunter

Jun 20, 2021, 11:19:05 AM6/20/21
to George Peterson, William Lofthouse, Rogue Valley Birds
We have about 110 bird boxes and maybe 1/3 used - so definitely not as many tree swallows using them as usual. At least 2 pairs of bluebirds, the usual. More black Phoebes than the past.

Gretchen Hunter
(541)613-5940

Karl Schneck

Jun 21, 2021, 10:43:40 PM6/21/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
I had 6 active TRSW nests(75%) in my yard, actually a bit more than usual. Most of the young have fledged. VGSW are still building their nest in the box that was used by WB Nuthatch after they fledged. Barn Swallows in... you got it, the barn. W. Bluebird in one of the swallow boxes should be fledging very soon. Oak Titmouse have fledged also. Barn Owls were banded today and they should fledge in about 2 weeks. House Wren? Not sure what they are up to. Maybe stuffing the box to discourage others. Bullock Orioles are nesting but I usually don't find their nests until after the leaves have dropped. Robins, C. Towhees, B. Blackbirds nesting also. Downy Woodpecker and Acorn Woodpecker in tree cavities. So, for me, a very successful year. Except for the W. Kingbirds who failed last year and this year in their attempt to build a nest on a utility pole in high winds... I guess they keep trying since they were successful 2 yrs. ago.