Blue-gray Gnatchatchers

Kristi Mergenthaler

May 18, 2021, 2:35:40 PM5/18/21
to Rogue Valley Birds

I continue to be quite concerned about Blue-gray Gnatcatchers in SW Oregon. Where they are usually common, their numbers seem low and at Rogue River Preserve there still have been zero detections. Usually this little sprite is present at the Preserve the first week of April and by now, the buckbrush chaparral is full of their acrobatic foraging. Were they impacted by the Obenchain fire (where a significant amount of acreage of chaparral was at least temporarily burnt up) and all the fires in California during their slow fall migration? What do you think?

Tom Pratum

May 18, 2021, 3:16:50 PM5/18/21
to Kristi Mergenthaler, Rogue Valley Birds
That is one species that I have seen pretty good numbers of in the Jacksonville Woodlands. We also had quite a few up on Roxy Anne last week. I can’t say whether those are ‘normal’ numbers as I don’t usually see that many. On the other hand, I am still thinking there are not nearly as many of some other migrants like BHGRs; although there are a lot more than when I posted my original message about them some weeks back. I am also on the Whatcom Birds List (Whatcom County Washington), and there they are reporting many fewer Spring migrants……

Tom Pratum, Jacksonville