Ruby on Rails 4.1 - Random SWF backgrounds in layout

Kazuna Nakama

Apr 26, 2014, 2:45:58 PM4/26/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone, this is my first post on Ruby on Rails, I've managed to get up and running with Rails 4.1 on FreeBSD with Nginx and Ruby 2.1.1.

My issue is this:

I have a folder located at /public/swf/ that contains numerous swf files I want to load as a background for every page of my site. I've successfully created a controller with a randomize method and a corresponding view that loads the backgrounds randomly. The problem I'm having a bit of trouble with now is getting the output of /background/randomize.html.erb and putting that output into the application layout so the backgrounds load on every page. My HTML/CSS is just fine, however I can't seem to include that in the application view.

Would I be using the render method, content_for, or capture do for taking the raw parsed HTML output of background/randomize and putting it in the application layout?

mike2r

Apr 27, 2014, 4:59:57 PM4/27/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I would rename randomize.html.erb as a partial and render it in the application layout.   If you haven't worked with partials, refer to the following:

mike

Kazuna Nakama

Apr 30, 2014, 11:46:50 AM4/30/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! So I renamed /views/background/randomize.html.erb to /views/background/_randomize.html.erb and changed the method name in the background controller to _randomize as well. I put <%= render :partial => "background/_randomize" %> in application.html.erb.

Some things work, some things don't. So my randomize method simply sets @swf_bg to a random file in the public folder and then I put <%= @swf_bg %> in the _randomize.html.erb view. This is displayed properly when I go to /background/_randomize.html.erb, but when I go to the index of my site it's not including the @swf_bg variable that displays correctly when I go to /background/_randomize

it's including the code from _randomize.hml.erb in my main page like: <embed src="" /> instead of <embed src="/random/swf/file.swf" />, but when I visit /background/_randomize in my browser it works fine.

2014年4月27日日曜日 15時59分57秒 UTC-5 mike2r:

mike2r

May 1, 2014, 4:17:28 PM5/1/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I probably should have anticipated that would be an issue.  Partials are not templates, in fact, they are presumed to execute in the same controller/action as the template that calls them.  They don't have their own corresponding actions.

I would have to test this, but I would probably define randomize as a protected method in the applications controller (and thus, would be inherited by all other controllers).  I would then execute it as a before_action for those controller/actions that need it.  I'd be interested in other suggestions on handling this.  I'm not positive this would work, but I think that this would then work in the context of your partial.

Mike