Dev Environment

Srinivas Kalyan

Oct 27, 2015, 4:53:14 AM10/27/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi All,

I am new Ruby on Rails, I had installed as described below on my machine. Could you please advise good editor compatible to the below configuration? And any additional steps required once i install these?
  1. MySQL 5.6.27
  2. Ruby 2.2
  3. Git
  4. Rails 4.0
Appreciate your help! Thank you.

Colin Law

Oct 27, 2015, 5:05:32 AM10/27/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 27 October 2015 at 02:28, Srinivas Kalyan <kalyan.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new Ruby on Rails, I had installed as described below on my machine.
> Could you please advise good editor compatible to the below configuration?
> And any additional steps required once i install these?
>
> MySQL 5.6.27
> Ruby 2.2
> Git
> Rails 4.0

You have not told us which operating system you are using. Assuming
it is a linux or Mac OS then I recommend installing using rvm (others
prefer rbenv).

However I suggest that you start by working right through a good
tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online).
This tutorial runs in the cloud and does not need you to install
anything to get going. Once you have learnt the basics then
installing on your own machine will be easier as you will know what to
expect.

As a matter of interest why have you installed an almost obsolete
version of Rails? 4.2.4 is the current version.

Colin

tamouse pontiki

Oct 27, 2015, 10:48:31 PM10/27/15
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Srinivas Kalyan <kalyan.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I am new Ruby on Rails, I had installed as described below on my machine. Could you please advise good editor compatible to the below configuration?

There are several good coding editors to choose from:

* Sublime Text 2 or 3
* Atom
* Brackets

Most people don't recommend RubyMine as it can be costly, and many people do not think using an IDE helps one learn enough, however I find it useful enough even if it isn't my main editor, which is emacs.

I have a hard time recommending Vim and Emacs to new developers, even though they are both really great editors. The problem being, perhaps, as editors they both can have their own learning curve piled on top of learning the framework.