Rails 5 and Cross-platform Chat Apps (Right tool for the job?)

Robert

Mar 6, 2017, 1:55:22 AM3/6/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi all,

I'm looking to create a cross-platform (iOS, Android, Web) chat up for a research interest in linguistics and language (if you're interested: www.twoptzero.co ).

I'm sure most experienced developers (ruby/rails enthusiasts or not) agree that you should pick the right tool for the right job, so I wanted to get a feel for the community thoughts on using Rails 5 as a framework for building a cross platform chat app?

Is the new ActionCable API hacky, or rubust/stable/easy to work with?

Most people have suggested I go with something like meteor for real time actions (which I have used before), but I do enjoy how rails feels to work with !

Just wanting to get a feel if anyone has experience doing this or recommendations, objections, etc?

Cheers!

😊