how does gmail show new messages as they arrive

fugee ohu

Sep 16, 2018, 3:34:38 AM9/16/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
how does gmail make new messages appear in your browser as they arrive?

Hasan Diwan

Sep 16, 2018, 4:35:29 AM9/16/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Javascrpt? -- H
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 00:35, fugee ohu <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> how does gmail make new messages appear in your browser as they arrive?

If you wish to request my time, please do so using bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.

Sent from my mobile device
Envoye de mon portable

Rob Jonson

Sep 16, 2018, 7:33:00 AM9/16/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
The rails way to do this (update page when stuff happens at the server) is ActionCable
https://guides.rubyonrails.org/action_cable_overview.html

It runs on websockets and allows the server to push information to the browser. Your javascript on the page then needs to know what to do with that information.

It is typically slightly more complex to host than a 'regular' site as you probably need Redis running.

dave woodall

Sep 16, 2018, 2:46:46 PM9/16/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Rob, kudos to your insight and brevity to convert that question into a rails response.

Sincerely,

Dave Woodall

fugee ohu

Sep 16, 2018, 8:51:04 PM9/16/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Does it matter if my rails app is an api app or not?

Colin Law

Sep 17, 2018, 1:18:17 AM9/17/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 02:51 fugee ohu, <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does it matter if my rails app is an api app or not?

Define (in terms of models and controllers) in what way they differ.

Colin