energy usage web app

Prabu Rangki

Dec 26, 2014, 7:50:31 AM12/26/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, need some advise.

I'm still new on RoR, I'm about to create a Web app that monitors energy consumption such as, electricity, water and waste.

User can input the datas manually and later on they can view the usages in a day, week, year and by selecting particular dates.

Where should I start and what part should I start. I'm still stuck on designing the database. But I already play around with chartkick a little bit.

Thx

Colin Law

Dec 26, 2014, 9:58:05 AM12/26/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I usually start by working out what are the key data objects that need
to be represented in the database, and the associations between them
(has_many, belongs_to etc). Possibly User, MeterReading for example,
then build the system up from there. Make sure you write your tests
as you go so that when you refactor things (as you surely will) the
tests allow confidence that the refactoring is ok.

Colin

Mehmet Cetin

Dec 31, 2014, 10:53:46 AM12/31/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
This document (getting started RoR) has many answers to your possible questions. It is best to start with http://guides.rubyonrails.org/testing.html and railscasts.com - a little outdated but has many great examples there.
Start with those, rest will follow ;)

Mehmet Cetin

Dec 31, 2014, 11:19:03 AM12/31/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com