passenger apache2 setup with ipaddress

saravanan p

Jan 22, 2014, 6:04:50 AM1/22/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Good evening!

Is that possible to point like below

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite  #server ip address
  DocumentRoot /path/to/projects/public
  RailsEnv development
  <Directory /path/to/projects/public>
    AllowOverride all
    Options -MultiViews
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

and Can I access xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite in my browser? I tries this but its doesn't work...

// hosts file
xxx.xxx.xx.x   xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite

is this possible or we have to give only name (domain name) ? i.e example.com/mysite

Walter Lee Davis

Jan 22, 2014, 10:01:45 AM1/22/14

On Jan 22, 2014, at 6:04 AM, saravanan p wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Good evening!
>
> Is that possible to point like below

It sounds like you are setting this up for localhost viewing, or on a local network. My answers are somewhat specific to this, particularly the part about your hosts file.

> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite #server ip address

ServerName takes a hostname, not an IP address or path. Try mysite.com instead.

> DocumentRoot /path/to/projects/public

If your Rails app is called "Projects", then this line looks correct.

> RailsEnv development
> <Directory /path/to/projects/public>

Ditto, this path should match the DocumentRoot line.

> AllowOverride all
> Options -MultiViews
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> and Can I access xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite in my browser? I tries this but its doesn't work...

If you had set up the server to respond to mysite.com, and the server was running, then you would point your browser to mysite.com/ and see whatever you had configured your root path to be.

> // hosts file
> xxx.xxx.xx.x xxx.xxx.xx.x/mysite

In your hosts file, you would put

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mysite.com

A DNS record like this would point *from* an IP *to* a virtual host. In production, you would set up your public server to respond to your actual domain name, and you would have your DNS hosting provider point your domain to the public IP address of your actual server.

Walter

> is this possible or we have to give only name (domain name) ? i.e example.com/mysite

saravanan p

Jan 22, 2014, 10:37:44 PM1/22/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
> Is that possible to point like below

   > It sounds like you are setting this up for localhost viewing, or on a local network. My answers are somewhat specific to this, particularly the part about your hosts file.

        No, its not local network. In local network i can setup with any domain name in hosts file and i can access the rails app with that domain name in my browser.
        Problem is, i have server ip address with global access. But i don't have domain name for that server.
        If I mention 121.0.0.1 mysite.com in my server hosts file,  i know i cant access mysite.com in my local browser.

        I am trying to setup like ServerName server_ip_address/mysite instead of ServerName mysite.com/mysite
        I think we can only give mysite.com. mysite.com/mysite will not point rails application.

Walter Lee Davis

Jan 23, 2014, 8:50:42 AM1/23/14

On Jan 22, 2014, at 10:37 PM, saravanan p wrote:

> > Is that possible to point like below
>
> > It sounds like you are setting this up for localhost viewing, or on a local network. My answers are somewhat specific to this, particularly the part about your hosts file.
>
> No, its not local network. In local network i can setup with any domain name in hosts file and i can access the rails app with that domain name in my browser.
> Problem is, i have server ip address with global access. But i don't have domain name for that server.
> If I mention 121.0.0.1 mysite.com in my server hosts file, i know i cant access mysite.com in my local browser.
>
> I am trying to setup like ServerName server_ip_address/mysite instead of ServerName mysite.com/mysite
> I think we can only give mysite.com. mysite.com/mysite will not point rails application.

If you have properly pointed Apache to the /public folder inside your Rails app root, then asking for mysite.com/mysite will look first for a file or folder in the /public folder named mysite, and second will look for a route in the routes file that matches that URL. There may be a way to run Rails in a subfolder URL, but I've never used it. You don't seem to be asking that. Please let me know if that isn't clear, or if that is actually what you want.

Walter
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAOxyzk0p2fu_1XVk73PiW86HjDq29Q7w7NiGcR68RNcCnBNY0w%40mail.gmail.com.

Norm Scherer

Jan 23, 2014, 6:41:08 PM1/23/14
On 01/22/2014 08:37 PM, saravanan p wrote:
> Is that possible to point like below

   > It sounds like you are setting this up for localhost viewing, or on a local network. My answers are somewhat specific to this, particularly the part about your hosts file.

        No, its not local network. In local network i can setup with any domain name in hosts file and i can access the rails app with that domain name in my browser.
        Problem is, i have server ip address with global access. But i don't have domain name for that server.
        If I mention 121.0.0.1 mysite.com in my server hosts file,  i know i cant access mysite.com in my local browser.
On your server system and on your client (local) system (all assuming you cannot set it up in dns) you need to have the server associated with the ip.  On the server it is as simple as putting '127.0.0.1 localhost mysite' in the /etc/hosts file and on the client (local) system you would put '121.0.0.1 mysite' in the /etc/hosts file (this assumes that 121.0.0.1 is the address of the server).  In your virtual host file you would list the server name as mysite.  You are making this all too complex.

You do not need to mess with domains etc. if you have the static ip and hostname information available.

Norm

Mārtiņš Poļakovs

Jan 24, 2014, 3:24:33 AM1/24/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you want to deploy your rails app to sub-uri. There's a how-to in passenger documentation: http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Apache.html#deploying_rails_to_sub_uri

I think you don't have to put ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.xx at all in your VirtualHost file, because ServerName is a host name not an ip address: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#servername

you should put the passenger config in a default virtualhost for your apache installation.

saravanan p

Jan 27, 2014, 5:47:53 AM1/27/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
If I understand you correctly, you want to deploy your rails app to sub-uri. There's a how-to in passenger documentation:http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Apache.html#deploying_rails_to_sub_uri

I think you don't have to put ServerName xxx.xxx.xx.xx at all in your VirtualHost file, because ServerName is a host name not an ip address:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#servername

you should put the passenger config in a default virtualhost for your apache installation.

     Hi Martins,

       yes, you understand me correctly :)

       I checked the links which you provide and its very helpful to me and i solved my problem.

Thanks!
Saravanan P