How do I create a form that allows users to add additional instances of the same field if needed

fugee ohu

Apr 13, 2017, 4:41:48 AM4/13/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Let's say I wanna let users add all their pet's on the same form but I don't know how many pets they have I need to let the user provide values for multiple attributes for each pet but won't be creating a pet's table Rather, on completion going to create a text list of the users pets How would I do this?

Walter Lee Davis

Apr 13, 2017, 8:22:59 AM4/13/17
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You _could_ do this, but it's going to be a lot of trouble. Is there a reason why you don't want to add a pets table (and Pet model)? Then it would simply be a matter of adding a couple lines to your User model, and changing the users/_form partial to be a nested form.

class User < ApplicationModel
has_many :pets
accepts_nested_attributes_for :pets

class Pet < ApplicationModel
belongs_to :user

Walter

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 4:41 AM, fugee ohu <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let's say I wanna let users add all their pet's on the same form but I don't know how many pets they have I need to let the user provide values for multiple attributes for each pet but won't be creating a pet's table Rather, on completion going to create a text list of the users pets How would I do this?

André Orvalho

Apr 24, 2017, 9:01:33 AM4/24/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
 You could also use https://harvesthq.github.io/chosen/

or

google a little around I know I have done this a long time ago and it wasn't that hard.
Message has been deleted

fugee ohu

Apr 25, 2017, 8:42:19 AM4/25/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks Walter, that's what I did for now I've seen this in android adding contact's  phone numbers, you can keep pressing the new button and it adds a field set for you to put the number and type (home,work,mobile...)