Alternative to Heroku

David Merrick

Nov 30, 2018, 3:28:34 PM11/30/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
What are the alternatives to Heroku that are cheap and or that store your images as well?

Cheers Dave

Frantz Augustin

Nov 30, 2018, 3:30:52 PM11/30/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Try Digital Ocean.

Frantz Augustin
Founder @ Club Artizan

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 12:28 PM David Merrick <merri...@gmail.com> wrote:
What are the alternatives to Heroku that are cheap and or that store your images as well?

Cheers Dave

David Merrick

Nov 30, 2018, 3:31:51 PM11/30/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Dave Merrick

Daves Web Designs

Website http://www.daveswebdesigns.co.nz

Email merri...@gmail.com

Ph   03 216 2053

Cell 027 3089 169

Frantz Augustin

Nov 30, 2018, 3:46:37 PM11/30/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome

Frantz Augustin
Founder @ Club Artizan

Hassan Schroeder

Nov 30, 2018, 7:29:51 PM11/30/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 12:28 PM David Merrick <merri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the alternatives to Heroku that are cheap and or that store your images as well?

AWS S3 plus a small EC2 instance. And of course then you have a
simple way to experiment w/ larger or smaller instances to tune your
billing :-)

(When I was using only S3 for personal storage I used to get AWS
monthly bill of like $0.34 or so.)

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

David Merrick

Nov 30, 2018, 7:54:51 PM11/30/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thats about what I'm looking for thanks

Cheers Dave

Hasan Diwan

Dec 1, 2018, 7:23:54 AM12/1/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Easier than using Ec2 is to use Elastic Beanstalk. There is a rails tutorial at https://docs.aws.amazon.com/elasticbeanstalk/latest/dg/ruby-rails-tutorial.html . Let me know if you can't make heads from tails of it. -- H

If you wish to request my time, please do so using bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.

Sent from my mobile device
Envoye de mon portable

Rob Jonson

Dec 1, 2018, 2:49:04 PM12/1/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
What are the alternatives to Heroku that are cheap and or that store your images as well?

Cheers Dave

I'm a massive fan of Hatchbox.
You use a regular server from somewhere like Digital Ocean - but Hatchbox do all the provisioning, set things up for security updates, and just make things work.
I use them for all my sites. You can use Postgres or Mysql, You get A+ SSL with http2,  Action cable, whenever, sidekiq etc - all 'just work'

In terms of storing images - If you go with Digital ocean, then you can use the server filesystem to store the images, use a digital ocean space or use a third party like AWS. The last two will take a bit of setup though.

If you check them out on this link: https://hatchbox.io/?via=rob then I'll get a referral bonus. If you use the naked URL - I won't!

I have written about my experience here

David Merrick

Dec 1, 2018, 3:14:00 PM12/1/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I will look into it

strz...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2018, 5:04:06 AM12/2/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
For me the "real" alternative was OpenShift Online v2 as it was used pretty much the same. Now there is OpenShift v3 which is a Kubernetes distribution and in a sense "lost" the v2 "git push" appeal (for being a better platform that now requires a little bit more knowledge). Disclaimer: I was Red Hat employee at that time.

Anyway another option which I also use now is just a simple VPS in Digital Ocean. There are cheaper providers than DO, but I just love the UI and that they now offer dedicated DBs and spaces (S3 alternative).

If you care to understand the nitty-gritty details how to set it up I started to write a book https://vpsformakers.com/.

Josef

Douglas Lovell

Dec 3, 2018, 7:07:24 AM12/3/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
For completeness, though I'm not sure I recommend others punish themselves thus:

I provision a Linode box using Ansible and deploy to it with Capistrano. S3 bucket for attachments. It's quite cheap but also takes (or took up) a lot of my time. Tried the elastic beanstalk and felt totally baffled by the IAM security policies. Quite fine grained. That's just me. Had dozens of tabs open into the Amazon docs. Others might find it quite straightforward and convenient. For quick and easy, Heroku is great. If your time is precious, the cost is possibly worthwhile. And it's very reliable (as are the others). Supposedly scales nicely too. Haven't had the fortune to experience that.

Some might question why not EB when already using S3. Good question.

One more data point among many. Happy hosting!

Douglas

David Merrick

Dec 3, 2018, 4:28:02 PM12/3/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Definitely looking foe easy solutions to deploy.

Cheers Dave

David Merrick

Jan 3, 2019, 9:44:02 PM1/3/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi how do I find out about pricing if I go with this option? Initially only deploring one website.

Cheers Dave