Re: [Rails] Rails 4.1 secrets

Colin Law

Apr 13, 2014, 7:00:15 AM4/13/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On 13 April 2014 11:31, Steven Cahill <ste...@yorkshirebroadband.com> wrote:
> We are just playing with our first 4.1 app and are getting the following
> error (Missing `secret_key_base` for 'production' environment, set this
> value in `config/secrets.yml`)
> googled around a bit and are struggling a bit with this one. tried rake
> secret but not sure where to put the secret etc

Does this help?
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/upgrading_ruby_on_rails.html#config-secrets-yml

Colin

Hassan Schroeder

Apr 13, 2014, 11:17:45 AM4/13/14
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM, Steven Cahill
<ste...@yorkshirebroadband.com> wrote:
> We are just playing with our first 4.1 app and are getting the following
> error (Missing `secret_key_base` for 'production' environment, set this
> value in `config/secrets.yml`)
> googled around a bit and are struggling a bit with this one. tried rake
> secret but not sure where to put the secret etc

Seriously? Did you even look at 'config/secrets.yml' ??

Hard to imagine how it could be more plainly stated...

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder

Hassan Schroeder

Apr 13, 2014, 12:38:30 PM4/13/14
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Steven Cahill
<ste...@yorkshirebroadband.com> wrote:
> lost now

SMH. What does that mean? Do you have an actual question?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

Ed Halferty

May 29, 2014, 3:33:19 PM5/29/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
A lot of really helpful people on these forums.

I'll bet this person went ahead and did this:

production:
secret_key_base: 12345

Someone probably could have mentioned that <%= ENV["SECRET_KEY_BASE"] %>
loads the config from something called an "environment variable", in
this case SECRET_KEY_BASE, which has to be defined per-server, and they
should go read up on where to define it for their particular system.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted