(JOBS) PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER (MEDIDATA)

Thanh Lu

May 9, 2018, 1:21:24 PM5/9/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi everyone, to apply, please go to this link:
https://www.mdsol.com/en/careers/technology-analytics/principal-software-engineer-devops-ruby-on-rails-ror-aws/job/osyn7fwe

Medidata's unified platform, pioneering analytics, and unrivaled expertise power the development of new therapies for over 1,000 pharmaceutical companies, biotech, medical device firms, academic medical centers and contract research organizations around the world. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® connects patients, physicians and life sciences professionals. Companies on the Medidata platform are individually and collaboratively reinventing the way research is done to create smarter, more precise treatments. For more information: www.mdsol.com.

We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.

Your Mission:
The role of the Principal Staff Engineer within the DevTools group at Medidata involves the continual development of our existing deployment and infrastructure automation tools. The role will also require coming up with new cutting edge tools and workflows to manage an ever growing amount of applications, services and data which comprise our Medidata Clinical Cloud SaaS solution.

Your Competencies:
• Ruby on Rails - our current primary deployment tool is a Rails application.
• Clojure/Clojurescript - some of our tools are written in clojure.
• JavaScript - for a better in-browser UX for developers, and on the server side in some of our newer tools.
• Chef and Ansible - we use both for configuration management and deployment.
• AWS - using and helping others to use a wide range of AWS services.
• Improving our monitoring - as our services grow in number we need help with instrumenting and monitoring them so that we can anticipate unhealthy conditions before they cause outages downstream.
• Some ops - your primary focus will be on building tools but sometimes you’ll be directly involved in operations.
• Learning - you will be solving hard problems, and investigating them will lead you into unfamiliar territory.

The ideal candidate is:
• Motivated
• Able to work under pressure
• Comfortable working in an Agile environment
• Able to effectively communicate to technical and non-technical audiences
• Team oriented
• Willing to learn new technologies
• Willing to actively participate in the continual improvement of our DevOps practices

Required:
• Good judgement
• Proficiency with a static or dynamic programming language.
• Familiarity with a public cloud provider. AWS, Rackspace, Openstack etc.

Nice to have:
• Experience with systems administration, especially web operations.
• Experience working in an agile team.
• Experience with configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, CFEngine, etc.).
• Experience with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, Go, Clojure, Bash, PowerShell, Python, Java or C#.
• Experience with MySQL, Postgres, Redis, Memcached or DynamoDB.
• Experience with Nginx or HAProxy.
• Experience with a range of programming languages and frameworks.
• Experience writing automated tests.

What our team does at Medidata:
• Build and maintain deployment and infrastructure automation tools.
• Research new developments and technologies that could help us get code into production more quickly, safely and efficiently.
• Assist with the ongoing operations of our production systems.
• Configure and build monitoring and logging tools to monitor our applications and servers.
• Work with engineering teams to improve their use of our cloud resources.
• Ensure that our applications and services are horizontally scalable, highly available and are deployable with our existing tools.
• Act as a last line of support for difficult operational problems.

About Medidata:
Medidata's unified platform, pioneering analytics, and unrivaled expertise power the development of new therapies for over 1,000 pharmaceutical companies, biotech, medical device firms, academic medical centers and contract research organizations around the world. The Medidata Clinical Cloud® connects patients, physicians and life sciences professionals. Companies on the Medidata platform are individually and collaboratively reinventing the way research is done to create smarter, more precise treatments. For more information: www.mdsol.com.
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.

Our Commitment to You:
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture; we encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies.  On our quest to strengthen our position as the premier technology company in the life sciences space, we are looking for highly skilled & committed professionals. Our mission? To put innovative technology and insightful data onto researchers’ hands to help them safely get new treatments to market faster and with lower risk and cost.  We’re proud to say we are tackling real-world problems and making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere.

Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.

Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.