Re: [Rails] conditional validatiobs

Colin Law

Mar 29, 2017, 8:44:22 AM3/29/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 29 March 2017 at 13:35, fugee ohu <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to validate presence where another field is not null
> I found this example, the opposite
>
> class Person < ApplicationRecord
> validates :surname, presence: true, if: "name.nil?"
> end
>
> How do I change the if: condition to name not nil?

In this particular case I would use unless:, or "!name.nil?" if you prefer.

Colin

Jason Knabl

Mar 29, 2017, 9:57:25 AM3/29/17
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Use the `unless` key instead of `if` on the validation.

This will perform the validation unless the column is null, i.e., will perform validation if the column is not null.

-Jason