Sidekiq on Heroku

Linus Pettersson

Jun 30, 2013, 11:59:47 AM6/30/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I want to use Sidekiq to run some jobs in the background. The jobs will be created by the whenever gem (or similar) which creates a Sidekiq worker at a specific time. This worker will in turn create a few hundred Sidekiq jobs.

So, I'm using Heroku and wonder if I need to use a separate worker dyno for these jobs? Or can I use, for example, Unicorn to run Sidekiq "inside" my one web dyno?
I read something about it here: https://coderwall.com/p/fprnhg
But is it a good idea?

If it is not appropriate do it this way, can I spin up a separate worker when I need to? Perhaps I will create these jobs once a week. It would be cool to create a worker -> finish all jobs -> kill worker. Possible?

Jordon Bedwell

Jun 30, 2013, 2:34:38 PM6/30/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Linus Pettersson
<linus.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I'm using Heroku and wonder if I need to use a separate worker dyno for
> these jobs? Or can I use, for example, Unicorn to run Sidekiq "inside" my
> one web dyno?

You can, but it's not recommended.

> I read something about it here: https://coderwall.com/p/fprnhg
> But is it a good idea?