Re: [Rails] Docker

Hassan Schroeder

May 17, 2018, 6:32:43 PM5/17/18
to rubyonrails-talk
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:

> Can I create a docker container and deploy it to any service that supports
> docker (ie like AWS)?

"Can I deploy a docker container to a docker service?"

Is there a universe where the answer to that would be no?

Or is there something more specific you're trying to ask?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

Robby O'Connor

May 17, 2018, 6:40:48 PM5/17/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
very easily. https://lmgtfy.com/?q=rails+docker

There are so many resources.

On Thu, May 17, 2018, 1:52 PM Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
Just curious, I'm deploying to heroku now thru my github account but heard so many neat things about docker.

Can I create a docker container and deploy it to any service that supports docker (ie like AWS)?

Thanks,
Joe

Mugurel Chirica

May 17, 2018, 7:16:43 PM5/17/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joe, to answer your question, yes.

I have recently started playing with docker and can tell you that it's quite straight forward and works well with Ubuntu 14 - 16, and here is the big picture.

You will create a Docker file and a Docker-compose file, and write a specific set of instructions of what to install on your image and what ports you will open etc.

My colleague has more experience and he set up the files etc, and I just ran the commands which worked well, but you can create all those with a good tutorial.
The same files and some variants of those will be used to create the image on production.

Using that setup you can develop locally, and then when you need you can deploy to something more general like AWS using their integrations, or something more specific like a hosting created for Docker only.

Give everything a try and find a few good tutorials to follow (there's also an on-line free version docker book) and see if you like it.

Cheers

Robby O'Connor

May 17, 2018, 7:18:33 PM5/17/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
This code is broken but: https://github com/parkez/parkez-api

Robby O'Connor

May 17, 2018, 7:19:19 PM5/17/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
This code is broken but: https://github.com/parkez/parkez-api

I did it in like maybe an hr or. 2.

Robby O'Connor

May 17, 2018, 7:20:50 PM5/17/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the spam: here's the dockerfile: https://github.com/ParkEZ/ParkEZ-API/blob/master/Dockerfile

My Docker Compose file: https://github.com/ParkEZ/ParkEZ-API/blob/master/docker-compose.yml

Like I said, this is in an unstable state