migration problems

Joe Guerra

Apr 27, 2017, 6:54:16 PM4/27/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi, I got stuck on a migration (basically to fix a column name).  I actually went into the table itself and corrected the problem.  My herkou migration gets stuck, and I've got other migrations behind it that aren't running.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Joe

Mugurel Chirica

Apr 27, 2017, 7:00:47 PM4/27/17
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Can you share some code? There are more changes to receive help that way.

Jim Ruther Nill

Apr 27, 2017, 7:02:48 PM4/27/17
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
Hi, I got stuck on a migration (basically to fix a column name).  I actually went into the table itself and corrected the problem.  My herkou migration gets stuck, and I've got other migrations behind it that aren't running.

If you've already fixed the table manually, then you don't need to run the migration at all.  You have 3 hackish options

1.  Just delete the migration and update the old migration so it uses the correct column name.
2.  Insert the timestamp of the migration that you want to skip to a table called schema_migrations (not sure if this is
the exact name).  Rails basically checks this table to see which migrations need to run.
3.  Edit the migration so that it doesn't do anything, commit, deploy, run db:migrate.  Edit the migration again, commit,
deploy, run db:migrate.  The second db:migrate should not run the edited migration file.

May I ask why you decided to fix the table manually?

What should I do?

Thanks,
Joe

visit my blog at http://jimlabs.herokuapp.com

Joe Guerra

Apr 27, 2017, 7:17:51 PM4/27/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
ok, I'm having difficulty with heroku, they are having some build problems...

I'll try later.  I guess commenting out the # rename table in change def should work?

I was puzzled because the column title started with a capital letter, it worked fine in sqlite, but generated errors in postgres.  (so the quickest fix for me was to edit the column in postgress directly).   I belive I skipped this migration before, but I forget how I did that.

Thanks,
Joe

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:02:48 PM UTC-4, jim wrote:
[...]

Jim Ruther Nill

Apr 27, 2017, 7:30:10 PM4/27/17
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
ok, I'm having difficulty with heroku, they are having some build problems...

I'll try later.  I guess commenting out the # rename table in change def should work?

I was puzzled because the column title started with a capital letter, it worked fine in sqlite, but generated errors in postgres.  (so the quickest fix for me was to edit the column in postgress directly).   I belive I skipped this migration before, but I forget how I did that.

is there anything that keeps you from using postgres for development?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/f4266b4f-c569-4820-891f-2e7ba8a89126%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Guerra

Apr 28, 2017, 9:15:21 AM4/28/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Got it working.  I was just using the default settings that ror.  It's much easier to deal with sqlite in development.   I hate using PGAdmin for postgres.

Thanks,
Joe

Colin Law

Apr 28, 2017, 9:18:54 AM4/28/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 28 April 2017 at 14:15, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
> Got it working. I was just using the default settings that ror. It's much
> easier to deal with sqlite in development. I hate using PGAdmin for
> postgres.

Why do you have to use pgadmin? You should very rarely have to go
direct to the database.

Colin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/7476074e-9b38-4d0c-8c09-cc8320e689e3%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Guerra

Apr 28, 2017, 10:05:38 PM4/28/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
oh, right.  Just to do some minor things, but with pgadmin you have to write a bunch of sql.

Colin Law

Apr 29, 2017, 2:11:25 AM4/29/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On 29 Apr 2017 3:05 a.m., "Joe Guerra" <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
oh, right.  Just to do some minor things, but with pgadmin you have to write a bunch of sql.

What sort of minor things? Often you can do things from the rails console.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/0bcd9ba2-e6ca-47e0-bfc9-779d222ab336%40googlegroups.com.