How to start contributing to the Rails code?

Lucas Oshiro

Mar 15, 2018, 2:00:08 AM3/15/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hello,

My name is Lucas, and I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at University of São Paulo, in Brazil. This semester, I am studying Free Software Development, and I need to choose a free software project and contribute to its development, and I've chosen Rails, because I have some experience developing web services with it.

I would like to know how can I start to contribute, if there are issues that are tagged as "for beginners", or if there's another way to beginners start contributing to the source code.

Thanks.

Robby O'Connor

Mar 15, 2018, 2:04:55 AM3/15/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
By writing code. Seriously, look at the open issues and fix some bugs

Rolandas Barysas

Mar 15, 2018, 6:06:13 AM3/15/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You can find all information about contributing here: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/contributing_to_ruby_on_rails.html

Mugurel Chirica

Mar 15, 2018, 8:26:45 AM3/15/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
First try: https://github.com/rails/rails/labels/good-first-patch

If you can't find anything to contribute to Rails (since it's a very complex project), try and look for another OS software to contribute to.

Try this: https://github.com/MunGell/awesome-for-beginners

Good luck with your task!